How to wire home theatre

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by breney, Jul 27, 2012.

1. breney

breney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all!

I'm building a new home theatre, but it will not be dedicated, I want it to double up as a family room. For that reason I am reluctant to install large wall mounted speakers,instead I am looking at ceiling mounted speakers? I've read a lot about in ceiling speakers not being the right thing to use for home theatre, but is it really that bad, or just audiophiles getting too over zealous? I've not had home theatre before, so will not be too hard to impress.

But before that I need to decide on my wiring scheme. My media rack will be in node 0, in another room. I intend to send all signals to the room via CAT5e and speaker cable. The picture and infrared is fine, but I'm not sure about how to wire in the speakers.

Am I right in using two strands of speaker cable to each of the L/C/R and Rear speakers?

But how do I wire the subwoofer? I'm looking at pictures of the rear of the receiver I'll buy (an onkyo) and it shows a socket [Sub pre out] and it is a small jack. Its not a binding post, so how do I wire it over the long run? What outlet do I need to use?

I'm also hoping to use a keane IR extender with the panel mount receiver mounted in the ceiling. Has anybody used the panel mount receiver in a ceiling? Could you recommend it?

Thanks!

2. Member 606976

Member 606976
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ceiling speakers for home cinema would not be a first choice for a home cinema setup, just be aware that you will get sound transferred to rooms above the ceiling more than you would with wall mounted speakers.
    speaker cables : run on pair to each speaker position . make sure you keep the polarity correct ( positive and negative) the sub would be connected via a RCA to RCA plug with screened cable you should be OK with a 15m run of cable . it will be very annoying pointing your remote at the ceiling better to have the IR receiver wall mounted close to TV.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
  3. breney

breney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is a question slightly unrelated, but still relevant I feel.

I want to set up multi room audio, but am unsure what to do. You see I want to have speakers in the kitchen, and living room, which can play audio from hard drives, but also play FM radio. I want to be able to turn on the system and control the radio from the kitchen, but would like if possible the hardware to be located in NODE 0, as separate room elsewhere in the house. Is there such a system available?

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,512
    Multi-room audio can get both complicated and expensive. How many zones do you propose having? Is it just the living room and kitchen? What Onkyo AV Receiver do you plan on buying?

If it's just the two zones and you are only looking to play the music stored on a USB hard drive and the tuner, a multi-zone AV receiver should work. Additional zones on AV receivers are limited to analogue sources (not HDMI or spdif), USB, Network and tuner (radio). Regarding USB, flash drives (memory sticks) and powered hard drives will work. Download the AV receiver's manual from the manufacturer's website to determine it's multi-zone and USB capabilities.

If you want more zones, I would recommend a true multi-room option e.g. Sonos or Squeezebox. You will find plenty of information in the music streamers forum. There is a specific thread on multi-room:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/stre...74-avforums-multi-room-discussion-thread.html