• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to watch TV?

Speedy624

Established Member
Can I watch TV on my PC? If so, how do i go about doing so? What components are required? I can list my system specs if required.

StevieBuck

Prominent Member
You can install an internal TV tuner card to a free PCI slot, or get an external one that connects by USB.

You get satellite, cable and terrestrial tuner cards, so you need to know what source you're using.

Speedy624

Established Member
I have a MSI K9A2 platinum board, that obviously has 4 PCI slots right? What do i look for in 1 of those cards and what do i plug into it?

StevieBuck

Prominent Member
After you install the card successfully, you need to hook it up to an aerial/satellite/cable feed (i.e depending on the card type you buy) to pick up channels - just as you would with any other TV, satellite decoder, etc.

The card should come with software for your PC allowing you to scan for channels and watch them. There are 3rd party programmes (some free, others you pay for) which you can use as well with most cards which may be better than the bundled software.

I have a DVB-T type TV card (picks up standard Freeview over an aerial). I didn't like the bundled software and so use MyTheatre instead:

DVBCore/MyTheatre Homepage

The card also works with Windows Media Centre on my PC, which is another alternative.

You may find more info in this section of the forum:

Graphics Cards and Internal Video Devices Forum at AVForums.com

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom