How to watch Premiership on foreign channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabeel332

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i am new to forums and my main aim is to watch premiership football especially all matches of Man United. i already have a sky disk and sky freeview. i went to a local satellite shop and they gave me a dream box which show all skysports channels and all other channels intended for UK for a fixed fee. but obviously sky sports UK doesnt broadcast 3pm matches so i think the solution is to go for foreign channels. local shop told me to go for hotbird ( i have no clue what the hotbird is) but he also said if i have sky dish i can watch hotbird and prem football. is he right? if not what i need to do?

thanks in advance to all

Hi and welcome to the AVF.
There's quite a lot of misunderstanding here that needs to be cleared up, and other things to make clear.
Sky don't have anything to do with freeview. They do satellite TV and Freeview is terrestrial.
I guess that what you have now is FreeSatFromSky, or it might just be free satellite.
The "dreambox" will need to be connected to a satellite dish so what are you planning to do about that?
Hotbird is the name for a group of satellites situated at 13 degrees East.
Your Sky dish is pointed at the Astra and Eurobird satellites at 28 degrees East.
So, the shop assistant was wrong to say that you could use the Sky dish for Hotbird.
What did he actually say about showing "all sports channels" and who did he say you could pay the "fixed fee" to?
If the "dreambox" has a slot or CAM slot for a viewing card you may be able to get a new dish to connect it to,
and to pay a subscription for the channels that carry the material you want.
There are other ways of using these things that get around paying subscriptions, but those ways cannot be discussed in the forum.

Last edited:
iv'e connected the dream box to the sky dish alredy and paid the fixed fee to the shop, and i guess this is one of the other ways you are reffering. can you PM me about the other ways in more details. but with this way as i said i only get sky sports UK channel which are good but not good enough, he said i'd get the sky italia sports channel on hotbird using sky dish and i can watch football on them. this second sky dish is not installed yet and i've it as a spare so i think he might installed it in some different way so that it can work with hotbird. is hotbird the right choice to watch prem league football? there are so many hotbirds which one is right.

thanks for your response.

Did the dealer you bought it from also say that you'd need to connect the Dreambox to the internet to be able to receive these channels.
If so, it's cardsharing (through a paid server), is illegal and cannot be discussed on here.

EDIT: Suspicious minds think alike:D

Last edited:
Sound like the shop sells pre-configured Dreamboxes, and is either a reseller for an (illegal) payserver or may even be running their own.

That's OK, and these things can get quite complicated - other posters will give more detail.

If the dish was used previously for Sky channels from a Sky receiver, it can still - legally - provide only Sky channels from the "dreambox", including sports channels, that you could pay for direct to Sky. Therefore I don't understand why you have begun to use it instead for the "dreambox", and have paid to someone else. If was a way to avoid the subscription to Sky it was a bad idea, but no more can be said about that here.

As I said "Hotbird is the name for a group <actually just three in number> of satellites situated at 13 degrees East". As with the Sky group at 28E, it does not matter that there are several of them - a dish pointed at their location receives all the channels that the group carries. As you have an additional Sky-type dish it might be possible to have that installed to point at 13E, and to use it with the dreambox, though a different type of dish is more usual for this purpose, and there are regulations about having more than one dish on a property.

Those channels do include the SkyItalia package, and I believe it is possible to obtain a subscription to that, with a viewing card for use with a suitable satellite receiver. I believe the SkyItalia package does include one or more channels that carry UK football.

Last edited:
thanks for all the useful info, yes i am using internet with my dreambox, how is this illegal and if its illegal how come he is selling these so openly?

secondly i went there again and he said he'll provide me hotbird 13, which sports packages are normally associated with hotbird 13? he also told me that my current dish which was previously in use for sky freesat is pointed to astra2b and he'll use the same dream box for hotbird 13.

astra, hotbird, eurobid, how many birds are there in the sky? :)

thanks for all the useful info, yes i am using internet with my dreambox, how is this illegal and if its illegal how come he is selling these so openly?

Because an official paid subscription card is being shared with many other users.
The money you are paying the dealer is for the services of a payserver enabling sharing of the card to others who are not paying the service provider.

Card sharing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Five arrests over illegal satellite card sharing - Investigations

Your satellite dealer will be shar#ing a card(s) with many people from Europe and run a ser#er.

They will then sell this "service" to the general public and probably pubs too.

The people who they are sharing with from Europe/UK will have no idea this is happening.

Anti-piracy teams are actively going after and prosecuting payservers (which your connected to) and it's easy to trace the customers of the payservers.

Your opening yourself up to big problems with this route, especially if your getting Sky UK from them.

Hope i have not strayed beyond the rules, and this can be used as a warning to people.

So now I do understand how you are using the "Dreambox", and it confirms what I thought earlier was unlikely, that you are using "a way to avoid the subscription to Sky" and if so then "it was a bad idea". The others have explained the risk you are putting yourself to. Obviously the supplier is running an even greater risk and you can be sure he will not be staying for long where he is.
I said earlier that "your Sky dish is pointed at the Astra and Eurobird satellites at 28 degrees East", so your supplier got that partly right, about one of those satellites - there are four of them. There are indeed many satellites in orbit 22,000 miles away from the earth's surface. Here is a list of some of them: Europe, Africa, Middle East. Your dish could be moved to point at the three Euro Bird satellites at 13E, although as I also said earlier "a different type of dish is more usual for this purpose". This would make the Sky and other channels at 28E no longer available, but would allow for an official subscription to SkyItalia - again as I said before :D - including their football coverage.

Last edited:
how much risk i am on by using this stuff? the shop is there for atleast 2 years and doing their business.

I'm happy to give you advice, but i can't pm/email you. Must be a post count thing.

Drop me a line when you can.

would it no be easier to get a cyfra+ package as i beleive that shows the football also?

You can't receive AVF Private Messages until you have a certain number of posts.
Try clicking on Panoramic's name to see if you can send to him.
He's made it clear though that authorities DO check on these illegal activities.
frostman is right that cyfra is among legal alternatives, such as the way I've said about SkyItalia.

would it no be easier to get a cyfra+ package as i beleive that shows the football also?
Cyfra+ doesn't show that many 3pm games and no english audio(not that it would bother me).

Last edited:
is nova sports or sky italia showing EPL 3pm kick off?

The OP knows about them and is looking for more private advice on the implications for him.

Its an interesting concept, ignorance...

If I bought a 2nd hand car and it turned out to have drugs hidden in the boot lining, I wouldn't expect to be punished for that if they were ever uncovered.

This chap was sold a product intentionally by someone else, and could be percieved to be ignornant of any illegal activity.

:rolleyes:

:facepalm:

Ignorance as a philosophical concept is one thing, as a legal defence it is a non-starter.

So what about say, if you buy a stolen car unwittingly... fair enough I believe the police come and impound the car, and you are out of pocket, but the buyer is not punished.

Same thing, to an extent.

Having the car you paid for taken away sounds a lot like punishment to me.

Can't believe this threads not been closed?

The people who sold you the box are running a paid card share server and are scum.
Simple.

This chap was sold a product intentionally by someone else, and could be percieved to be ignornant of any illegal activity.

IMHO the thread starter has, at least, a basic conception of what's happening and will realise that by being sold this receiver i.e. "dream box which show all skysports channels and all other channels intended for UK for a fixed fee" that he is not paying a subscription to Sky UK/Sky Italia/Nova.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom