How to watch Freeview channels

cybergambit

Hi all,

So at first look this may seem like a ridiculous question but here is my query:

Best way to watch live freeview channels (BBC, ITV, C4 etc). on my Sony Bravia TV without an aerial.

The main points/issues making it difficult are:

• No external aerial available in that room and internal aerial does not have a strong enough signal
  • I don’t have any other services connected in this room (eg. Sky, Virgin etc).
  • The Sony TV is part of the model line up which had the rubbish YouView app and so does not allow any streaming freeview channels without an aerial
  • I have all the standard apps (iPlayer, ITVhub, all4 etc), but firstly only iPlayer has live channels (the rest now only have CU/VOD) and secondly I don’t want to have to go into individual apps to just “flick through live TV”

Any idea of a single app which has all the freeview channels on it? (TVPlayer doesn’t work anymore) or an easy way to get this working?

Thanks very much.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
This question comes up every now and then and unfortunately there is no ultimate Freeview app.

You say there is no aerial in the room does that mean there is one in the property though? You could invest in a HD Home Run you essentially plug your main aerial feed into it, plug the other end into a ethernet cable and now you have Freeview to every device in the house including TVs, computers, mobiles, tablets etc.

I have been running one for years off an indoor aerial and works really well.

cybergambit

This question comes up every now and then and unfortunately there is no ultimate Freeview app.

You say there is no aerial in the room does that mean there is one in the property though? You could invest in a HD Home Run you essentially plug your main aerial feed into it, plug the other end into a ethernet cable and now you have Freeview to every device in the house including TVs, computers, mobiles, tablets etc.

I have been running one for years off an indoor aerial and works really well.
Thanks, I've never seen this before but this is exactly the kind of solution which would work. The issue is the price - looks like £100.

I have an external aerial and that comes into the wall sockets on multiple rooms in the house, all except the one that I need for the TV (this has Virgin media coming out of the wall socket but that's now been disconnected but the cable still exists).

It would be cheaper for me to get a cable run from the roof outside the house and into the TV room than get the Homerun... But I was hoping for a "free" solution!

I might have to bite the bullet and get the cable run.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I have an external aerial and that comes into the wall sockets on multiple rooms in the house, all except the one that I need for the TV (this has Virgin media coming out of the wall socket but that's now been disconnected but the cable still exists).
Depending on where the old virgin cable goes to and from you could reuse this cable for an aerial connection. I'd leave the f-type plugs on the cable so in it could easily be repurposed back to cable in the future.

cybergambit

Depending on where the old virgin cable goes to and from you could reuse this cable for an aerial connection. I'd leave the f-type plugs on the cable so in it could easily be repurposed back to cable in the future.
Yes that would have been my go to option as that Virgin cable was the old aerial cable before repurposed to Virgin - however the cable came into the room and was split between Virgin cable box and Virgin modem for broadband - I have got rid of the tv service but still use that cable for the broadband so can’t switch its use back to an aerial unfortunately.

cybergambit

Well, as if by magic there is a solution created just today by Virgin Media.

They have launched the "Stream" box which primarily offers a place to have all your subscription services in one place and offer a few live entertainment channels, sports etc.

It's basically Sky's Now TV service - however one fundamental difference is that it includes most of the major live Freeview channels without the need for an aerial or cable. Plus it's absolutely free if you have Virgin broadband already.

Perfect.

BeyonceAngevine

Novice Member
Well, as if by magic there is a solution created just today by Virgin Media.

They have launched the "Stream" box which primarily offers a place to have all your subscription services in one place and offer a few live entertainment channels, sports etc.

It's basically Sky's Now TV service - however one fundamental difference is that it includes most of the major live Freeview channels without the need for an aerial or cable. Plus it's absolutely free if you have Virgin broadband already.

Perfect.
It sounds really cool, is Virgin Media available in Franch yet though?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom