Answered How to watch 2 Humax boxes with only one connected

Pierre B

Novice Member
I have an ageing Foxsat-HDR with about 65% of the disk with content. I purchased a new Humax Freesat HDR-1100S and connected it up to LNB1 and LNB2 having disconnected the Foxsat-HDR. Both are connected to to my Samsung TV via HDMI. I just want to watch the content on the old box whilst recording new content on the new box. However the old Humax box will not boot up without having the LNB cables connected. I do not want to have to keep disconnecting one and reconnecting the other. Am I trying to do the impossible? I also do not want to go to all the hassle of trying to copy from one box to the other as it all seems far too complicated.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Are the two boxes close to each other ? If so with the power off on both boxes, disconnect tuner 2 in on the 1100S and connect this cable to tuner 1 in on the Foxsat. With a short coax cable connect tuner 1 out on the Foxsat (the middle connection) to tuner 2 in on the 1100S. With the 1100s in sby, do a factory reset on the Foxsat (to reset connection mode to single cable). You should now be able to view the Foxsat-hdr with the 1100S in sby or when recording only a single channel. If you have both boxes on then tuner 2 on the 1100S will have a restricted range of channels available depending on which channel tuner 1 on the Foxsat is using.

Aternatively you could fit a splitter to tuner 2 input on the 1100S using the outputs to feed tuner 2 in on the 1100S and tuner 1 in on the Foxsat. Use the master output to feed the Foxsat.

Note the Foxsat-HDR must have low power sby enabled to enable the lnb passthrough in sby.

2 Way Satellite Splitter | Maplin

Third option is to fit a lnb switch so that you can divert the 1100S tuner 2 in to tuner 1 in on the Foxsat.

27957R Manual LNB Switch | eBay

And the last alternative (and the most flexible) is connect one cable to tuner 1 in on both boxes. Fit the loop from tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in on the Foxsat. Reset both boxes to set single cable mode. This will give you 4 tuners to record with, both boxes working independently. There will be some restrictions what you can second record on each box (much less that you imagine), but you still have the other box to record.

Last edited:

Pierre B

Novice Member
Thanks Graham I will try your options. I only really want to view what is on the Foxsat and use the 1100S to record and view. I will experiment with the options.
..No kevbuk that's my problem when I boot the HDR without the LNB cables connected all it wants to do is retune and wont do anything else - unless I am missing something?

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
..No kevbuk that's my problem when I boot the HDR without the LNB cables connected all it wants to do is retune and wont do anything else

So it does boot.... :D

Sorry I'm a bit of a geek, boot means turn on, as in power up...

logiciel

Boot doesn't make you a geek, but I won't argue. :D

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The HDR should boot without the LNB cables connected though, right???

It will normally but if for some reason it apparently eventually needs connecting to a lnb to even get to the media list display. Not sure why but possibly down to the overnight housekeeping boot not being able to contact the home transponder. Possibly some change to the channel the box boots to. No evidence at all, it's pure speculation, based on previous posts.

My Foxsat has two cables and sits under a Panny TV with Freesat tuners, which can record to USB.

In the past I have used the lnb out to feed a generic fta box with USB recording. Provided you know what you are doing with this arrangement you can record a third channel via the Foxsat without the hassle of encryption. These days it's connected to tuner 1 on the TV, not that it gets used very often. The Freetime boxes aren't quite as flexible because the tuner 1/ tuner 2 link is enabled internally when a single cable is detected during setup.

Giving tuner 1 on the Foxsat a lnb feed should allow housekeeping overnight to maintain the channel database.

Most read the generic advice you can't split a lnb feed, you can, provide you understand the limitations. :)

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks Graham I will try your options. I only really want to view what is on the Foxsat and use the 1100S to record and view. I will experiment with the options.
..No kevbuk that's my problem when I boot the HDR without the LNB cables connected all it wants to do is retune and wont do anything else - unless I am missing something?

Did you try pressing the exit button on the remote control ? Did you do anything to the box after shutting it down to remove the lnb connections that may have deleted the freesat channel database ?

Last edited:

REPASSAC

Graham - With the custom firmware installed it would not matter that the Foxsat wanted to retune - the add-ons start well before the Humax settop app. The HDR-1100S should then be able to see it, if twonky is installed.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Graham - With the custom firmware installed it would not matter that the Foxsat wanted to retune - the add-ons start well before the Humax settop app. The HDR-1100S should then be able to see it, if twonky is installed.

Indeed but the OP makes no mention of the CF and did not want the hassle of copying from one to the other. I thought adding the CF may be a step too far/complicated. I imagine all his HD recordings will be encrypted, so only way to view is using the original box, the CF won't help in this situation.

Pierre B

Novice Member
Graham - thank you, thank you and an extra thank you from my wife. After a short trip to Maplin to buy an extra LNB cable your Option 1 allows us now to use the 1100S as normal plus we can view all the old recorded stuff on the Foxsat. Just a slight problem is that both remotes operate both boxes simultaneousely, however with a bit of due diligence we can manage. Unless you know of a way of changing the IR frequency on the Foxsat?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom