Question How to wall mount a speaker - when there's no wall...

Dunk42

Impending parenthood has got me looking seriously at wall mount speakers (potentially Rubicon / Opticon LCRs) instead of free standers.

The trouble is that in my build I need to put a speaker where there's not currently a wall...! In the picture below where the radiator is leaning is a recess, into which I'm going to store all my AV equipment.

Ideally my right rear speaker needs to go 'in mid air' in front of that recess - as per this sketchup diagram:

I have a similar problem at the other end of the room, where I've currently got a couple of French doors dead central that I'm going to board over, and will need to mount the centre speaker on the board behind an AT screen.

Is there a way to do this without ending up with echoey booming speakers centre and rear right? I suspect just putting some plasterboard across the gap and fixing speaker to plasterboard is going to give terrible results...

thanks in advance

Tomdw82

Just build a section of framed plasterboard at the right height across the recess. Put shelves above and below for equipment.

Dunk42

Just build a section of framed plasterboard at the right height across the recess. Put shelves above and below for equipment.
Cheers Tom - that's definitely the structure to build. I'm just concerned specifically about mounting a wall mount speaker on what will effectively be a hollow cabinet - is that something you've done without issue?

Tomdw82

You can fill the new wall section with insulation.
It will be the same as mounting on most stud walls or false wall builds that people do.

CableGuy

Hi there,
I worried a little about my speakers when we found out we were due a little person. However, we just told her "no" and she hasn't ever gone near the AV gear. I wouldn't be to concerned. The cat on the other hand.... ;-)

CableGuy

Aye, no kids here but the cats love my tweeters, sadly :(
Good point. My cat thinks that speaker cloth = scratching post! Cats are definitely more trouble that children. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom