how to wake DESIRE screen up? Is only way to hit power button at top of phone?

braddo111

Established Member
Reaction score
Got DESIRE today. Screen goes blank after a few minutes of non use.

Seems the only way to wake it is to hit the power button at top of phone. Is this the way it should be?

Got DESIRE today. Screen goes blank after a few minutes of non use.

Seems the only way to wake it is to hit the power button at top of phone. Is this the way it should be?

Sadly that appears to be the case. Would be nice if you could tailor it to recognise a certain shape drawn on the screen or pressing a certain area of the screen for a set time. I dont doubt tho that its something that can be done with future updates.

for real!??! Seems rather odd. My coleague's Hero wakes up with the touch of the home screen button (not a euphimism!!)

Sadly that appears to be the case. Would be nice if you could tailor it to recognise a certain shape drawn on the screen or pressing a certain area of the screen for a set time. I dont doubt tho that its something that can be done with future updates.

You can't have it working based on the touch the screen as that would mean the screen is activate ALL the time and the battery would be even worse.

Other phones have more than one button configured to activate, but android appears to defualt to the power button only.

the hero you can use the pick up, put down home and menu buttons to wake it up, if you wack menu twice it unlocks completely/goes to your unlock pattern screen

i doubt they would have chhanged it for the desire have they?

You can change the timeout length in the settings.

"Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk"

ok but presumably delayign the timeout length, would mean less battery life. Right?

Sorry - i'm a newb!

ok but presumably delayign the timeout length, would mean less battery life. Right?

Sorry - i'm a newb!

the timeout is how long the phone has to be idle to turn off the screen, if the screen is on it uses more battery so in essence you will use more battery unless you put the screen in standby when you're done with it.

I've had both a htc g1 & htc hero - on both a quick double hit of the menu button gets you straight into the desktop. My wife has desire - a big frustration for me is not having the same function - why oh why did htc alter this? It sounds minor but having to hit the top button each time is un-necessary.

Search xda developers forum as there is a thread showing you how you can change it to any of the buttons on the bottom of the phone except middle cursor mover thingy. I would find you the link but i am a tad busy. However if you search you will find. I personally like the top button as i often sling the phone in my bag and because it is only the top button that activates the unlock screen there is less chance of it turning on by accident.

it feels really odd at first but after a few days use you quickly get used to it and turning the phone on by hitting the top power button becomes very automatic and quick, and ceases to be a hinderance. I actually prefer it now.

it feels really odd at first but after a few days use you quickly get used to it and turning the phone on by hitting the top power button becomes very automatic and quick, and ceases to be a hinderance. I actually prefer it now.

+1 Same here. I'm actually glad you cannot use the other buttons as would be continually switching it on as putting in pocket etc.

agreed - you get used to it quickly. about 16 hours in my case.

Despite that, I downloaded an app called Slideunlocker and it basically works like an iphone, whereby you hit any button and then slide a horizontal touch slider bar to unlock screen

seems to work fine

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom