How-to: Video capture using Sony DCR-TRV120E to my PC

A

ashnaveen

Hi
I have a SONY DCR-TRV 120E Camcorder.
For a long time, I have been trying to capture the Video to my PC.
I have browsed thru all possible site and documents. But havent been lucky to find a solution.

It would be a GREAT HELP if anyone can answer the following questions.

1. How to capture video from my Cam to my PC - I have a Firewire cord and tried to connect to my laptop(WIN XP). Its a 4-4pin cord. It fitted well into my laptop and the DV in/out option in my cam. But my OS couldnt recognise it at all.

2. Which Video Capture Software works with this (Sony DCR-TRV 120E) model? - I tried Windows Movie Maker. Yet to try Ulead. But found some threads mentioning that Ulead doesnt work.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Ash

Do you have the camera switched on and in the VCR mode - that is whatever setting you use to view your video on your TV - not in camera or record mode.

Try having the camera on and in VCR mode before you open Windows Moviemaker - if that doesn't do anything some people have had success by doing that and if the camera was not recognised switch the camera off and back on again - works for some.

Well, I forgot to mention that. I did have the camera in the VCR mode. But seems like it doesnt recognise.

Do I need adriver specific for this model?

No. Windows XP has all the required drivers as part of its install to use firewire.

Have you tried another firewire cable as the one you have could be faulty. Or you could try connecting the cam to another PC.

Mark.

If you've retro installed your firewire card then Xp should prompt you on restarting to go into the system manger and configure the card.

Sony D8's use the same generic device control as all sonys (although even if device control didn't work windows should still see the camera) you could try to reset the device control at the most basic setting (v1 or v2).

Hello everyone,

I am just new here, and found this thread by searching for an answer to a similar question.

I didn't want to start a new thread that is almost the same, but I don't want to hyjack this either...

so, help if you want, or ignore at will...

I bought a TRV120E ages ago and always was going to buy the cable later..
Well, it's later, and I have no idea what i need to be able to edit my videos on the computer. If anyone could point me in the right direction for what I need to buy, it would be much appreciated. I'm running 98 and XP at home, so whatever I need for these as well...

Thanks very much,
and sorry for hijacking, ashnaveen

fehgalloway :thumbsup:

If your PC does not already have a firewire port then you neeed something like This. This is the port on a PCI card that just plugs into the PC motherboard and a cable to connect the cam to the card.
If the PC already has a firewire port (will show in Device Manager as ieee1394 port) then all you need is a 4 pin to 6 pin cable such as This.

Windows XP has a video capture & editing program included called Movie Maker. Make sure you have all the latest XP updates from MS and this will give you Movie Maker 2 that is far better. Full help and advice on useing it can be found at www.papajohn.org

Be aware though that your PC will need to be running Windows 98SE or later to be compatable with firewire. Windows 98 or earlier does not have the required drivers to use the card.

Mark.

Mark,

Thanks very much for your help.

It makes things so much easier when someone just says what is needed :)

Greatly appreciated

fehgalloway

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom