Answered How to utilize extra speakers

renier8

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My equipment is pretty old, but still functions beautifully. Perhaps that's just because I've been avoiding the new stuff :)

I have a Denon receiver which is 7.1 channels capable.
I have a typical 5.1 setup. Two towers, center, two rears and a sub. A friend recently gave me a very decent set of towers.

To be honest, I don't even know if I have a lot of media that can fully utilize the 7.1 system, but since I have the speakers, I thought I might as well use them.
So my question is - how do I best utilize the extra two towers, and where should I place them.

I look forward to your input on this.
Thank you
Renier

Have you got any photos of the room in which you want to use the speakers or can you draw a diagram showing equipment and furniture placement.

Room layout is the most important thing to consider at this point.

What speakers do you actually have (make/model) and are the new speakers the same make/model as the others?

Thank you,
The existing speakers are Paradigms (old but, the sound is still great). The new speakers are Technics. They are fairly new. They look bigger than my paradigms, and I get the impression they can probably go louder than the paradigms, but I am not sure how the quality will measure up. Quality is more important to me than volume.

Image with layout below.

Dropbox - speaker-layout.jpg

Let me know what you think please.
Thank you in advance.
Renier

Personally I would want all speakers to be the same make and model all around. Floor standing speakers for rears or surrounds will be too low so again not ideal. You could try them since you have them but you may well find the sound is no better or worse than currently.

Fair enough. It just seems like a waste. But I don't have much space anyway, and the room layout is far from ideal. One day ;-)
Thanks for the input.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom