1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to use yamaha's "CENTER-GEQ"?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sk4nky, Sep 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi,

i have a a pair of wharfedale diamond 8.3's and a matching wharfedale diamond center. when i do a basic test sound on my yamaha rx-v450, the 8.3's sound different to the center (the center is slightly 'higher pitched' --thats the right word to describe it i think), even though they are part of the same speaker family.

all isnt totally lost though, on the rx-v450 there is an option called CENTER-GEQ, which basically is a built in 5-band graphic equaliser to adjust the tonal quality of the center to match the fronts.

however this is where i get totally lost, there are 5 freq bands (100Hz, 300Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, 10kHz) which are adjustable rom -6 to +6 dB.

im hoping this can make my center sound more balanced but i have no idea what or how to make the center less high pitched. some help or rough guide how to adjust the graphic eq mentioned above would be appreciated.

thanks.

2. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also have Diamond8.4 as fronts & Diamond8c as u & also my center sounds different than the 8.4s (i have a ****y KenWood amp),first i though the Diamond8center is the problem & that i sounds different than the rest of the Diamond 8 family but i tired & connected it as a left channel in stereo & working with the right channel (Diamond8.4) & for my surprise they sound the same,so i know it was the Amp that make this difference but i thought that's coz my amp is ****ty,but it's very strange that u have the same prob with ur very new RXV450???

3. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive even tried biwiring the 8.3's and the center, whilst its made a mininal improvement, the center still sounds a little off.

i think atm, the FL/FR are set to +1db and the center is set to 0db and the center is still a bit higher pitched :/

someone must know how to work the CENTER-GEQ thing that yamahas have to fix this!

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100Hz - Bass
    300Hz - mid-bass
    1kHz - mid
    3kHz - mid-treble
    10kHz - treble

So I would experiment with turning down 10khz or turning the rest up and leaving that one on zero.

5. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ^^^ cheers, thats what im after. at least now i know what im randomly playing around with :)

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    However...I wouldn't worry to much about it if it's the test tone that sounds slightly higher pitched...I have identical speakers on the front 3 (all Miller & Kreisel's) and a THX certified Pioneer amp and my centre sounds slightly different when running the test tone.
    How does it sound when watching a movie...? If the answer is OK then I'd leave well alone. The main reason it sounds slightly different is beacuse the enclosures are a different size. Bigger enclosures generate more bass, hence the higher pitch from the centre channel. Try putting one of you main pair on the centre and the centre in it's place...you'll find the centre speaker will sound the same wherever you position it.
    (sorry if it seems a waffling answer...I've been working all night and need to go to bed... :boring: )

7. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also the Diamond8c is 2db louder than the Diamond8.3 & 8.4 (from the pdf manual on Wharfedale web site)

8. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    to be honest ive only noticed it in the test tones, whats a good dvd to test it "in-movie"?