How to use top up tv box and tv integral freeview hd ?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by adrianone, Nov 28, 2010.

1. adrianone

adrianone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a Panasonic TV with integral HD freeview. I also have a Thompson top up TV which I want to use as i subscribe to Sky Sports. How to use both - clearly if the aerial goes into the box there is no reception via the integral tuner, and vice versa. Both the box and TV connect to a Sony AV amp, one by Scart and one by optical.

Would a simple aerial splitter , or an amplifier with splitter allow me to switch between tuners depending on what I wanted to watch ?

2. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    AFAIK this box has an RF loopthrough for just this purpose - that's why a model number helps.
    The aerial is plugged into the box (as you have it now) and a lead (usually supplied) is taken from the RF OUT socket on the receiver to the AERIAL IN on the TV

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Welcome to the forum.

The method described by fernadez is always the preferred method.

Aerial splitting is to be avoided wherever it is possible to do so.

4. adrianone

adrianone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. Model number is DTI 6021. It does have an RF out, labelled for connecting to a VCR.

So, even though the box is non HD this set up will allow me to use the TV tuner for the HD services ? Clearly the box will have to be turned off otherwise the TV tuner is inaccesable.

You are right about splitters,thats why I was hoping someone on here knew so much more than me !

5. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    The RF OUT simply passes through the aerial signal to the TV - it doesn't know or care if it's a HD TV or not, it's just an aerial signal.

You needn't turn the Thomson box off and can watch something on the TV and record on the box from it's own tuners at the same time because (connected as suggested) both pieces of equipment are receiving an aerial signal.

6. adrianone

adrianone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent. I will give it a try as soon as the kids abandon the XBOX - about midnight at a guess !