How to use the Riot Shield

Saul T Nuts

I'm getting ready to Prestige for the second time and have been trying to wean myself of the usual gun/perk combos and last night thought I would have a crack with the riot shield.

After a few games I realised it's actually a lot harder than it looks and when you get close enough to someone to use the melee attack on them it seems to take two strikes to kill them. I lost track of the amount of times I got the first one in only to then get killed from behind. :eek:

I found that nobody actually bothered shooting at me and I either ended up getting noobed or stabbed from behind, I think I managed to surprise a couple of newbies but apart from that the experiment was a failure!

Anyone got any tips how to use it a bit better so I can wade in like the riot police at the New Den ??? :devil:

bearman3784

Distinguished Member
commando is pretty handy with the riot shield

xWAKEYx

Using the riot shield can be a good laugh, sometimes the enemy dont know how to deal with you and back off, and a few times you seem invisible to them its weird.

Its usually 2 thumps of the shield kills someone unless they are already damaged.

Secondary weapon usually AA12 shotgun or pistols (akimbo)

Equipment: throwing knife as it can suprise the enemy with a quick kill if your good at throwing knifes, you can also equip blast shield (R1) so you resist explosions good when defending a captured HQ.

Perks i choose for this class are Marathon, Lightweight (so your a bit lighter), and Commando is a must with pro for longer range melee attacks.

Edit: don't forget to pick up you knife if you throw it you only get 1 (press x when knife is close), unlike shinobi who had pocketfulls of throwing stars.

They are good for capturing the flag B at start of domination games. If your looking to gain alot of points with it to rank up go stand in front of a sentry gun :devil: (sponge and bullet deflection challenges).

Crouch if you can to avoid being shot in the foot, semtex are an isnt kill against you if they stick to the shield, sometimes bullets seem to penetrate the shield, must be with certain guns?

Got the 3 killstreak challenge for this the other night in the bunker on wasteland, seemed invisible to them, thought I'd never get it:clap:

Its hit and miss really on how succesful you are with it, comes with practice.

Last edited:

astar0th

Distinguished Member
Riot Shields are superb! :thumbsup:

WAKEY has pretty much summed it up. You need marathon, lightweight and commando (as bearman said) as otherwise you run too slow and don't have a great range with the shield melee.

Throwing knife is essential as it's quick to use and gets you back behind cover asap, plus enemies usually try and stab you so they will be at close range meaning an easier target. Grenades take too long to prime and leave you vulnerable too long.

Sprint when you can but at any sight of an enemy you must crouch or they'll shoot your feet. Remember your feet become vulnerable again as soon as you move/creep, so stay pretty much still until the enemy get a bit closer. Move whilst they are at range and they'll see your feet exposed.

The best way to take out an RS holder is to sticky the shield. Unless they have good aim they will usual be close when they do this so just sprint after them and take them out as well as yourself. Apparantly you can drop the shield but i've never tried, plus blowing someone up with their own sticky is much more fun! :thumbsup:

Play Domination and rack up the capture points. Pray to god that air support comes in and no-one has a launcher and let it shoot the hell out of the shield which in turn equals points! Doesn't work with chopper gunner though. Stand in front of a sentry gun and enjoy yourself!

Think that is all! :smashin:

EDIT; And also as WAKEY said, you will have to hit them twice and there aren't really any tips to give other than practice and try and keep the enemy in sight at all times!

Last edited:

Bowders

I think riot shields are most effective if there's two of you. One with the shield, the other behind watching his back. Like the majority of people, they go into a strange panic when they see a riot shield because they're not quite sure what to do, so having a wingman behind you is always useful.

A good example of this is the capture the flag trailer on IW's website.

erniebert1

Make sure you crouch with the riot shield. Its so easy to kill people with riot shields by shooting at their feet as when you walk normally your feet are not protected by the shield :thumbsup:

I was having an absolute mare on Skyrise the other night, managed to stab some nutter running round with a RS and decided to pick it up - 30 seconds later i'd got the killstreak RS award - great little weapon if you know how to use it, I still panic a bit when a RSer comes towards me!

RedAl

Distinguished Member
I might have a couple of games with Riot Shield as a class tonight. I often find if I`m faced with a RS user I just drop a semtex nade halfway between me and him as it confuses the :censored: out of them. They either back off and are no threat to me or keep coming forward and stand right over my nade. Its pretty much failsafe! :thumbsup:

EyesOnly

Riot shields can be great fun 1 on 1 but as soon as someone else approaches you from the side your doomed. Therefore I think they're better used in FFA rather than team death match if you don't like the objective games.

I might have a couple of games with Riot Shield as a class tonight. I often find if I`m faced with a RS user I just drop a semtex nade halfway between me and him as it confuses the :censored: out of them. They either back off and are no threat to me or keep coming forward and stand right over my nade. Its pretty much failsafe! :thumbsup:

I do love semtex against RS. I just run straight for them, stick the semtex to the shield, turn around and run away as quickly as possible and hope they can't keep up and kill me with my own grenade! Though I did try this once and I received a throwing knife to the face

xWAKEYx

A private riot shields only match mite be a laugh?

The Bass

I'd argue that Scavanger and Cold Blooded are better options for riot shielding. Scavanger replenishes your throwing knife without you having to find it and allows you to get it back off someone you killed with a beatdown. Commando gives you the lunge to surprise people from a distance and once you have that first hit people don't normally survive unless they are quick with the knife. Cold Blooded allows you to get behind them and gives immunity to air support, even with Lightweight you still run slower than a normal person so it's not really worth taking off CB or Hardline. I'd also recommend using the throwing knife over the beat down, if you get good at judging where the reticule would be you can quickly take out people who think you are going to hit them intead.

I seem to remember a few of us having one of them on Scrapyard a good while back...was funny as hell.

I still laugh about a game of TDM(?) on terminal, when I had the perfect view of Bearman, Mike and one more person (sorry cant remember) all using the RS marching up the tunnel thing onto the aeroplane in some strange riot shield conga type thing.

I bet the poor bloke on the plane **** himself when he saw them three turn the corner and pop up in front of him.

Last edited:

EyesOnly

I wonder if stopping power makes a difference or is it still a 2 bash kill :confused:

astar0th

Distinguished Member

I just dip the shield a bit and watch it blow up! Nice extra points for shielding an explosion!

astar0th

Distinguished Member
I'd argue that Scavanger and Cold Blooded are better options for riot shielding. Scavanger replenishes your throwing knife without you having to find it and allows you to get it back off someone you killed with a beatdown. Commando gives you the lunge to surprise people from a distance and once you have that first hit people don't normally survive unless they are quick with the knife. Cold Blooded allows you to get behind them and gives immunity to air support, even with Lightweight you still run slower than a normal person so it's not really worth taking off CB or Hardline. I'd also recommend using the throwing knife over the beat down, if you get good at judging where the reticule would be you can quickly take out people who think you are going to hit them intead.

I'd have to disagree. Being able to move around the map quicker would be more benificial to me than not having to press X to pick a knife up. And you don't get too many kills with riot shield meaning you'd be lucky to scavenge a knife at all.

Cold Blooded would probably be the worst perk! You WANT air support to see you with a riot shield as they just spray spray spray at your shield! I've ended up gaining like +1 point for every 10 bullets in the end cos the game could not justify me taking anymore bullets! :thumbsup:

As an RS holder you WANT to be shot at. You WANT people to drop a 'nade at your feet so you can deflect the blast, and you WANT people to get close to attempt to stab you, so you can knock/knife them back.

astar0th

Distinguished Member

Riot shields only wouldn't work as you just keep knocking on each others shield and getting nowhere.

However, thinking about it, if you saw to people "going at it" you could sneak up behind one and take him out?

Ooh, a sneaky riot shield game, sounds good actually!

EDIT: Could someone else post something, or i'll be forced to actually use the +quote button! :rolleyes::facepalm:

The Bass

I'd have to disagree. Being able to move around the map quicker would be more benificial to me than not having to press X to pick a knife up. And you don't get too many kills with riot shield meaning you'd be lucky to scavenge a knife at all.

Cold Blooded would probably be the worst perk! You WANT air support to see you with a riot shield as they just spray spray spray at your shield! I've ended up gaining like +1 point for every 10 bullets in the end cos the game could not justify me taking anymore bullets! :thumbsup:

As an RS holder you WANT to be shot at. You WANT people to drop a 'nade at your feet so you can deflect the blast, and you WANT people to get close to attempt to stab you, so you can knock/knife them back.
Maybe that's just my style of riot shielding then, a more offensive shield as I still go for kills over getting XP from sentries etc. I like cold blooded because it's a pain in the ass when you make it near enemies just as they get UAV so their whole team swoops in to kill you. You don't have to beat down someone to get your knife back either, if they are focusing on you and your team mate shoots them you can get your knife from the pack rather than looking around 10m behind them to try and find your knife. I also found the game prioritised picking up an enemy weapon over your knife so if someone was shooting at me I'd either have to slowly walk around trying to get the knife prompt or risk picking up a gun and dying instantly.

Stopping power doesn't affect riot shield by the way.

astar0th

Distinguished Member
if they are focusing on you and your team mate shoots them you can get your knife from the pack rather than looking around 10m behind them to try and find your knife..

If you don't mind me asking, what is the pack? I thought that the dead person had to have a knife equipped when killed for you to pick one up? Isn't that how scavenger works too? Dead person needs to have used the same gun?

The Bass

If you don't mind me asking, what is the pack? I thought that the dead person had to have a knife equipped when killed for you to pick one up? Isn't that how scavenger works too? Dead person needs to have used the same gun?
No, Scavenger scavenges anything from anyone. Every blue pack an enemy drops contains noobtubes, stingers, grenades, throwing knives, ammo, etc regardless of what they were using :thumbsup:.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member

Its flippin hilarious!

Was playing with 2 mates last weekend. One of which had just got his 360 and we were teaching him the basics. Me and the other experienced mate chased him with riot shield. He panicked and didn't know what was happening, just sprayed bullets into us with no success as we backed him into a corner. :devil:

Riot shield 1 on 1 is also good fun!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022