How to use SPL meter??!!

C

CosmicOne

I just got SPL meter & i read everywhere that the best setting is to set it to 80db as Dolby suggested but i have some questions:

i put my SPL at C weighting & slow response & 80db & i hold it looking upwards & on ear level.

1-What should i put the Master volume on the Reciver at??coz i don't get any response from the SPL pointer until my Master volume reaches -9.5db with the speakers @ +10db @ that the SPL reads 80db,SO am i doing this right???

2-Do i set each speaker at 80db or all the speaker @ 80db coz when i set eachone @ 80db when watching a movie or listing to music with all speakers working it becomes very very loud also the amp is near clipping,So do i must use a test tune from all channels @ 80db???

my system:

Yamaha RXV650
Wharfedale Diamond8.4 fronts
Wharfedale Diamond8.3 rears (very soon,Using another rears for now)
Wharfedale Diamond8center
100W powered RCA 10" subwoofer with crossover@60HZ
100W powered by external amp Optimus 12" subwoofer with cross@80HZ

anyhelp please guys.

CosmicOne said:
I just got SPL meter & i read everywhere that the best setting is to set it to 80db as Dolby suggested but i have some questions:

i put my SPL at C weighting & slow response & 80db & i hold it looking upwards & on ear level.

1-What should i put the Master volume on the Reciver at??coz i don't get any response from the SPL pointer until my Master volume reaches -9.5db with the speakers @ +10db @ that the SPL reads 80db,SO am i doing this right???

2-Do i set each speaker at 80db or all the speaker @ 80db coz when i set eachone @ 80db when watching a movie or listing to music with all speakers working it becomes very very loud also the amp is near clipping,So do i must use a test tune from all channels @ 80db???

Hi Cosmic,

When setting up levels with an SPL meter you want to really use the Test tone from your amp if you don't have a test tone from your amp then you need to get either AVIA test disc or Video Essentials.
Right takeing it that you have test tones from amp you want the master volume to be set at 0 and your speaker level's are way to high set them back to 0, what you want is to have the SPL read 75db for each channel so in most case's depending on size of room 1t will usually result in the LCR & Surrounds being in the Neg db.
Once you have all the main channels calibrated then do the subs, most people like to run the subs a little bit hotter say +2-3db so it will read on the SPL meter 77db - 78db.
I do think though that it is worth investing in a good test disc as it does explain alot better than this

BTW: you have the meter settings correct

John :)

Thanx Recruit for replying,

am already using the Test tone on my reciver but i found that setting the volume of each speaker at 70 or 80db it becomes very loud when u watch a movie using all of them or playing music??!!

Ok Cosmic i think you should invest in a Test Disc and let it step you thru setting up your speakers.
Good Luck mate i hope you sort it out :smashin:

John :)

Hi Cosmic,

I used the following guide to set my speakers up, Yammy 630 amp plus Wharfedale Dimonds speakers.

When I first got a SPL meter I didn’t have a clue on how to use it. These instructions are for the Radio shack digital meter .

1. Place the SPL Meter at the listening position at ear level with the Microphone end pointed toward the ceiling. (A camera tripod helps to get it at the right hieght and to keep it steady and the Radio shack meter has the screw fittings for it)

2. Select “C” weighting, response slow then, turn the dB dial to 70.

3. Activate the internal pink noise generator often labeled just TEST or test tone of your Receiver/Amp and select manual test tone if it’s got one. Some just have auto which scrolls through each channel you then adjusts the levels. See your instruction book on your receiver/amp for details on how to do this.
The built in test signal is not always the most accurate way, that’s why we suggest using Test discs which have better, more accurate test signals but either way is better than not calibrating at all.

4. Now adjust each speaker to +75 dB reference ( I always start with the front left or right speakers to get the initial level some amps don’t have separate level controls for the front speakers except for the main volume control and balance control )get the front two speakers set to +75 dB then adjust the other speakers. When you are adjusting the surrounds make sure your body is not in a direct path of the speaker and make sure the house is quiet. When doing the calibration, only the test tone should be heard (A/C, ceiling fans, vacuum cleaners, Kids, Pets
Nagging wives etc. should be silent or turned off).

5. It is always tempting to turn rear effect speakers and subwoofers up to get a stronger effect my personal advice is don’t.

Hope this helps if anyone has a better way then please tell us.

Thanks BOB

Hope that helps.

Barry

I have a Pio 812 and recently borrowed an analog SPL to calibrate the speakers.

Unfortunately, the test tones only last about 2 seconds before switching to the next speaker so you can never get a level before the tone moves on. The Pioneer helpdesk say there is no way to overcome this. I have also tried the THX optomiser on some discs, but again the tones move araound the speakers too quickly.

Any idea how this could be overcome ?

Otherwise, how can I get a suitable test disc - the AVIVA disc looks V expensive when considering my kit and a Google search doesn't highlight where I can get the Video Essentials disc.

Any help would be much appreciates. Thanks

thanx guys for all ur help,
am sorry i can't get any test discs where i live (Egypt) they are not avaialbe here.

but my Test tone is a continious one for each speaker so it's good enough to use it to calib. also my SPL is Radioshack but analog SPL meter.

so i understand from this that i turn the master volume for say the fornt left speaker tell it reach 75db then i adjust each speaker to as the front left while leaving the Master volume alone.

Nagging wives etc. should be silent or turned off

How . Go on give us a clue. I realise you could stand to make a lot of money with this secret .But you would only be telling me :D

CosmicOne said:
Thanx Recruit for replying,

am already using the Test tone on my reciver but i found that setting the volume of each speaker at 70 or 80db it becomes very loud when u watch a movie using all of them or playing music??!!
Just because you calibrate your speakers at reference level, it doesn't mean you have to watch a movie or listen to music at that level.
Simply turn it down to a level that's comfortable for you.

Very basic instructions for calibrating your speakers are as follows:
1. Set the SPL meter to: C Weighting, Slow Response, 70dB
2. Set the amp master volume to 0dB
3. Using the test tones, adjust each speaker level using the dB+/- for each individual speaker to achieve a reading of +5dB on the meter
4. Change the meter scale to 80dB
5. Adjust the sub woofer level to achieve a reading of 0dB on the meter*

Accuracy can be further improved for the normal speakers (not the sub) by reducing the amplifier volume to -5dB and checking that the meter reads 0dB.
This is because the scale is much more accurate around the 0 reading.

*Note: The sub woofer should be adjusted to be approximately 5dB louder than the other speakers but this may already be accounted for with the amp internal test tone so you will have to verify.

so i understand from this that i turn the master volume for say the fornt left speaker tell it reach 75db then i adjust each speaker to as the front left while leaving the Master volume alone

It's best to adjust the Front L&R together using the master volume, you might have to adjust the balance if you are not sat equal distance from each speakers. Then adjust the volume of the remaining speakers to match.

Barry

The SPL meter doesn't have a flat frequency response.
You therefore have to apply the correction values to the actual meter reading to get the correct figure.
So for example, if you're measuring at 25Hz and the SPL meter reads 60dB, you have to add 5dB which makes the actual reading 65dB.

Do these correction values also apply to the new Radio Shack SPL meter?

For my PC I have a Logitech Z5300 5.1 speaker system which does not have a DBa display. Should I calibrate the system say with the main volume set at 12 O'Clock?

Yes, the correction table specifically applies to the Radio Shack SPL meter.

If you do not have a dB display on your amp, set all individual speaker adjustments to 0 (assuming you have this feature), set the SPL meter to 70dB and adjust the main volume until the front left speaker registers a reading of +5dB on the meter.
Make a note of the volume knob postion - that is then reference level on your system.

what if your amp doesn't have a digital volume control.

Dave.

Dave H said:
what if your amp doesn't have a digital volume control.
I have answered that above.
Just make a note of the position of the knob when the meter reads +75dB.
Or do you mean something else?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom