How to use smart TV as a monitor wirelessly and broadband options

scotty33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a recently purchased Samsung 6100 series tv fitted with a Hama 300mbps wirless usb adaptor. I think the dongle is configured ok, I am able to 'receive' I player through it.
I would like to be able to use the tv wirlessly as a monitor for my home pc through it's Dlink wireless router. I cannot find anything in the Samsung electronic menu/guide that covers this. Is it even possible?

The other thing is that my home broadband speed is a woeful 1.1mbps, as a result, the aforementioned Iplayer buffers every few seconds, making it unwatchable (both on the tv AND the pc). I would like to use lovefilm type services but can't see it working at the moment. With no plans by BT to roll out infinity in my area this year, do I have any other options?

I have a recently purchased Samsung 6100 series tv fitted with a Hama 300mbps wirless usb adaptor. I think the dongle is configured ok, I am able to 'receive' I player through it.
I would like to be able to use the tv wirlessly as a monitor for my home pc through it's Dlink wireless router. I cannot find anything in the Samsung electronic menu/guide that covers this. Is it even possible?

You can't use the TV as a monitor over WiFi I'm afraid.

The other thing is that my home broadband speed is a woeful 1.1mbps, as a result, the aforementioned Iplayer buffers every few seconds, making it unwatchable (both on the tv AND the pc). I would like to use lovefilm type services but can't see it working at the moment. With no plans by BT to roll out infinity in my area this year, do I have any other options?

That all depends upon what's causing the low broadband speed. If you're a long distance from the exchange there may be nothing you can do. You can check what's available at your local exchange using Sam Knows. Is your modem/router plugged directly into your BT master socket, or is it on a long extension ? Do you have multiple extensions fed from the BT socket ?

You may be able to use an alternative to a BT line for broadband, is a cable service available in your area ?

What's your area? Have you got any neighbours with line speed trouble?
The only way you can make your TV as a wireless monitor is to buy a wireless HDMI extender, they retail for about £50 and mean that you have a usb dongle in the computer, and a dongle dock with HDMI out that connects to your tv on one of the USB slots.
Try restarting your router and then perform a speedtest on Test Result and then post the results back on here :smashin:

Thanks for the info, it will probably be cheaper/easier to just run a lead to the tv when the time comes.
My broadband is with Talk talk, their test showed download speed of 1.21mbps this time. Previously used BT and was no different. I am 5-6 km from the exchange and the 'cabinet at the end of the street' is actually approx 3-400 yards away at the bottom of the estate...
When they ran cable in this area, we were bypassed.
I read about the new T mobile 'Full Monty' package, unlimited mobile calls, texts and uncapped mobile broadband for £36, It could replace my home phone service in theory, but I'm not up on mobile broadband at all, their site shows no mobile broadband coverage for my home area. Though the mobile signal has good coverage and would be fine?
My router is plugged into a slave socket, but it is the only one connected to the master.
My neighbour was getting the same speeds as me, I think thats all we will get until something improves with the technology/infrastructure?
I have recently enabled the wireless on the router, doing this has not made a noticable difference, in fact I think the test result above is a new 'personal best'!!

I had assumed love film would not work, but I read more about lovefilm, if I understand correctly the system tailors the picture quality to your broadband speed. They recommend broadband speed be above 2mbps. Despite mine being only 1.21 mbps, it seemed to work ok. I watched 30mins of a film during which it only buffered twice (my kids were playing an online game at the time which won't have helped)
edit I just watched 2 films this evening through lovefilm, straight through without any buffering. The only problem, is any action scenes go very pixellated/blocky - I guess thats why the 2mbps speed is a minimum...

Last edited:
The only way you can make your TV as a wireless monitor is to buy a wireless HDMI extender, they retail for about £50 and mean that you have a usb dongle in the computer, and a dongle dock with HDMI out that connects to your tv on one of the USB slots.

Is this the type of device you had in mind?

Q-Waves Wireless USB to HDMI Extender - Stream Wirelessly From Laptop to TV or Projector: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The bit that is confusing me, is that I have wireless broadcasting from my Router, and I have a wireless usb dongle in the tv now. How is another wireless adaptor in a usb port on the tv going to help?
Specifically, the cabled devices show up as available on the 'source' menu, the hama usb wireless device is working, but does not show up on the source menu - all usb ports are 'greyed out'. Or does it plug into a hdmi port via a short cable?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The USB dongle on the device you have linked goes into the laptop and the other device with hdmi/vga outputs go behind the tv with a cable from either output plugged into your tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom