How to use optical cable sky

Millertime9

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know I'm being daft here, but having lip sync issues with soundbar and hdmi with new sky box
I've got sky box connected to TV via hdmi and now an optical cable from sky box to soundbar
It's an older soundbar, samsung r550
Problem is, when I change source on soundbar to d.in, it thinks about it for a second then reverts back to the hdmi for audio
Am I doing something daft!?

Unplug the HDMI cable in the ARC sockets of the TV and soundbar (assuming that’s what you have - optical and ARc connected). Din for the soundbar is both optical and ARC I believe. If both are connected I think ARC takes precedence.

Thank you, but if I unplug the hdmi for the soundbar, then if I want to use one of the telly apps, netflix for example, I don't have sound through the soundbar?

Thank you, but if I unplug the hdmi for the soundbar, then if I want to use one of the telly apps, netflix for example, I don't have sound through the soundbar?
You will via optical.

Sky Q box ??? Lip sync is a common issue on the sky community

I would hdmi from the sky box to TV then optical from sky box to sound bar

I would hdmi from the sky box to TV then optical from sky box to sound bar
Excuse my daftness but if I play either the ps5 or netflix on the TV app, then how can I get audio from the soundbar that way?
And if I set the TV audio to "optical", how does that work since the telly doesn't have an optical cable from it, it's the sky box to soundbar?

Yeah but how will the TV "talk" to the soundbar for TV apps for audio if the optical cable is from the sky box to the soundbar?
Sorry I was thinking the optical was from TV to soundbar. I think that solves the audio delay problems but thinking about it it shouldn’t…..

Anyway if delay is only with Sky through TV you probably need an Arcana or similar

Sorry I was thinking the optical was from TV to soundbar. I think that solves the audio delay problems but thinking about it it shouldn’t…..
Haha I know
When people talk about the optical cable being better than hdmi for lip sync, how's it all connected?
All I need with current set up is a way of forcing the sky box to use the optical and forget the hdmi
The problem I have is I can't go hdmi from sky box to soundbar as it doesn't support 4k video

The problem I have is I can't go hdmi from sky box to soundbar as it doesn't support 4k video
If you don’t need more than 5.1 audio tk the soundbar plug devices into the TV and use only optical from TV to soundbar.

Otherwise Arcana or similar as I linked above for Sky box to TV for video and soundbar for audio. Expensive but will work. More money will get multiple inputs for more devices than just the Sky box.

The only way to have ARC and optical connected to the soundbar and ensure the soundbar doesn’t default to HDMI (which it will), is to have a device between the TV and soundbar in the ARC connected HDMI cable that can “switch off” the ARC stream. A remote controlled switch (with ARC support) might be cheap and cheerful. Connect the ARC HDMI to the switch input and the output to the soundbar ARC socket. When using the Sky box use the switch remote to switch to the empty input. An auto switching one may not work but I think ones with remotes can force the input to stay on a “dead” input. Then the HDMI ARC stream is cut and optical will work fine.

If you don’t need more than 5.1 audio tk the soundbar plug devices into the TV and use only optical from TV to soundbar.

Otherwise Arcana or similar as I linked above for Sky box to TV for video and soundbar for audio. Expensive but will work. More money will get multiple inputs for more devices than just the Sky box.
Should optical from the TV to the soundbar cure the lip sync issue?

Should optical from the TV to the soundbar cure the lip sync issue?
Same audio so probably not.

You said
I've got sky box connected to TV via hdmi and now an optical cable from sky box to soundbar
So my suggestion is that if only the Sky box gives lip synch issues via the TV and ARC, connect the Sky box HDMI to the soundbar HDMI input. Video will passthrough but not sure what the capabilities are compared to the Sky box. Soundbar set to HDMI input and it will stay on that whilst receiving audik and video from the Sky box.

All other audio from the TV and PS5 connected to the TV will pass audio from the TV to the HDMI ARC connection between TV and soundbar.

If you want Sky box video that can’t pass through the soundbar, connect the Sky box by HDMI to a TV input and with an optical cable for audio to the soundbar. Buy a switch with ARC support as above and plug the HDMI ARC cable from the TV into one input of the switch, other input(s) empty. HDMI from switch output to soundbar ARC HDMI socket.

When using Sky use the switch remote to select the empty input so only the optical connection on the soundbar receives audio. For all other sources (TV and PS5 or other things plugged into TV) use the switch remote to select the ARC cable input. Audio will come via or from the TV.

Same audio so probably not.

You said

So my suggestion is that if only the Sky box gives lip synch issues via the TV and ARC, connect the Sky box HDMI to the soundbar HDMI input. Video will passthrough but not sure what the capabilities are compared to the Sky box. Soundbar set to HDMI input and it will stay on that whilst receiving audik and video from the Sky box.

All other audio from the TV and PS5 connected to the TV will pass audio from the TV to the HDMI ARC connection between TV and soundbar.

If you want Sky box video that can’t pass through the soundbar, connect the Sky box by HDMI to a TV input and with an optical cable for audio to the soundbar. Buy a switch with ARC support as above and plug the HDMI ARC cable from the TV into one input of the switch, other input(s) empty. HDMI from switch output to soundbar ARC HDMI socket.

When using Sky use the switch remote to select the empty input so only the optical connection on the soundbar receives audio. For all other sources (TV and PS5 or other things plugged into TV) use the switch remote to select the ARC cable input. Audio will come via or from the TV.
Thank you for your time with this, genuinely
Can you link me to the kind of switch you mean?
I would need that as can't put video through the soundbar, it doesn't do 4k :(

I can find some here in Australia or from the US. Search for HDMI switch with ARC and see what you get.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom