How to use external mic with no shoe / MD235 + sony ecm mic - any other suggestions?

W

whitescar

Hi,

I am looking for a good miniDV camcorder for video editing, with a mic input so I can get good sound, for under £400. I think the Canon MD235 looks like a good choice, but it is quite difficult to get hold of now, does anyone know of any current comparable models?

Assuming I do get the MD235, or a similar model with a mic input but no shoe, is the only way of using a mic with such a model to use a boom pole (as there's no way to mount it on the camera)? I've been looking at the Sony ECM-MS907 Stereo Microphone, would this be mountable onto a boom pole, and if so would I need to buy a particular boom pole or a connector to attach it?

Basically I want a camcorder that I can record good SD video and sound with for editing on a laptop, for around £450 max (including mic and boom etc). If anyone has any suggestions other than the above they will be very welcome as I have been looking into this for ages and not come up with much!

Many thanks for any help.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
I had a small bracket once, which screws to the tripod thread in the underside of (almost) any camera, and provides an accessory shoe at the other end, ie. beside the camera. I expect such would still be available.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom