1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use dscaler?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by vulkan75, Oct 31, 2003.

1. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok!For the past few months I've had dscaler installed om my hcpc but never realy used it because I cant work out how to configure it :suicide: dooh!!

I did have a pbtv100 tv card which i took back cos I couldnt get dscaler to find the signal.

Now I like to try again, but this time using dscaler to scale the image from my dvd rom b4 it leaves via dvi for the hs10, can I do this and how?

sorry for the no brains but this is wreakin me!!!:mad:

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Well you can use Dscaler for dvd playback but you'll need to go the PDI route which will mean additional hardware most likley)

It would be easier initially just to use a decent software player: Have you tried this yet?

I'm intrigued as to why you feel the need to use a Dscaler solution for this?

3. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi keith I'm using theatretek which seems fine,I'm just toying with the idea that the hcpc processing power with descaler, might do a better job than the projectors build in scaler...:)

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    If your projector is capable of 1:1 pixel mapping and you are feeding it the compatable resolution from the HTPC it won't be doing any scaling anyway.

There are still some merits to be said for Dscaler ( I use it all the time for external sources) but its strengths aren''t in scaling. Its deinterlacing it excels at so if you watch a lot of video based material off dvd it could be a good choice.
    Film based material is fairly simple to deinterlace ( I use Theatertek myself).

5. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhhh! ok:lesson:
    That helps...so how do i go about deinterlacing dvd film through dscaler and theatretek?...i cant seem to get the 2 to wrk inconjuction at all:confused:

This is realy the main of my problem,i cant seem to use any of its features for anything...what am I doing wrong?:suicide:

6. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Unfortunately, and with all due respect, I think you may still be missing the point. You don't need to deinterlace dvd's using dscaler, you have theatretek for this. Dscaler is designed for deinterlacing external sources (eg. interlaced signals received via a TV capture card), and not for general DVD playback.

As mentioned by another poster, it is technically possible to use Dscaler for DVD playback, but this requires additional hardware, may involve soldering, and subsequently isn't really a mainstream solution. If this is what you would like to do, may I recommend that you look at threads relating to PDI, where you will find a lot of useful information on the subject. But as I say, it isn't really a common solution, and generally there isn't a need.

I hope that helps.

7. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek: ok,my tails between my legs....no wonder i cant get it working looks like i'll have to get my tv card back.

thanx forr the education:blush: