1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use a signal booster

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by vick, Dec 21, 2003.

1. vick

vick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please could anyone help I have a labgear signal booster which has two sockets called 'tv' and 'in'

I have a 1 scart nokia mediamaster 121t but I do not know how to set up the booster.

This is what I have tried so far:
    What I did was the following when trying to set up the booster:

1.Connected the scart lead to the back of the box and then in to the back of the TV.

2.Then put the aerial (indoor) RF lead to the 'in' socket on the booster

3.Then put an RF lead from 'tv' socket on the booster to the back of the box

4. Next I put an RF cable from the back of the box to the VCR

5. And finally I put an RF lead from the back of the VCR to the RF socket on the back of the TV.

When I switched everything on I had a missing signal message appear on screen.

Could anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    vick u are trying to pick up a digital signal with an indoor aerial!!!

have u checked where u live to see what kind of strength the digital signal has?

gm--

3. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will NEVER, EVER pick up freeview with an indoor aerial! Even with a magic signal booster.
    You need a wideband outdoor aerial mounted in the loft or outdoors directed at the signal emitter in your area. Check on the BBC website for freeview coverage.

4. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    thanks jake

gb--

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    This isn't quite right. Freeview, like any other TV signal, will work with an indoor aerial if you are in a very good reception area. Also, if the freeview channels are close to the channels allocated to analogue transmissions, a grouped aerial will offer better signal strength. Wideband aerials always trade off signal strength for their wideband coverage.

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not true Jake. Plenty of people living in close proximity to transmitters get a stable picture on freeview with an indoor aerial. See digitalspy forums for examples.

Not all regions need a wideband aerial either. It depends at which part of the frequency range the muxes are transmitted. For example, users of the BlackHill transmitter could use a group B aerial for analogue, but need a wideband aerial to receive all freeview muxes. Darvel transmitter users, however, only require a group A aerial for either analogue or freeview. (Source: http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/tx_details/tx_scotland.htm)

7. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I point out that I am only 14, and go on the info I get.
    I am on a learning curve!

8. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    I'm 40, been in the industry since I left school and I'm still learning too!

9. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Vick syill hasn't said if this is for terrestrial TV. Videos have a signal booster, that may conflict with the other booster.
    Limited experience shows few indoor aerials work well (apart from very strong signals). Amplifying a bad signal doesn't help. Youre better off with a good aerial - outside.
    Sorry this doesn't answere the question., try pluging the aerial to booster to TV after the vid, but I doubt that'll make any difference. Trying won't cost though! If you monkey about with the order/inclusion of the bits & with a scart lead, you may find out if a conflict is the problem & can decide if the booster's any use or not.

10. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i get a 100% picture from an indoor aerial in my bedroom, the living room as an old big standard roof aerial so i suppose it all depends on the signal strengh in your area.

11. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Yes it depends on the signal stremgth in your area.
    Some VCR's have a switch that can enable/disable their RF amp ; if this exists, you can try switching it in/out.
    The proper place for a signal booster is as near the actual antenna as possible ; otherwise you are amplifying the extra noise at the end of your cable run. You want to boost the signal at the point where it has the highest SNR ()Signal to Noise Ratio).

Chris Muriel

12. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know poeple with freeview on a set top aerial.

Also the ones in the argos are all wideband so they are able to receive all channel numbers