How to use a generic android box as streamer?

sparkymarky

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help?

Aim: Use Samsung s9 phone to control Spotify premium playing from a generic Android tv box/computer that I already own.

Connection: Router ethernet > Android box > optical out to a dac with vol control/preamp > Naim power amp.

So essentially i'm looking to replicate a Chromecast Audio scenario using the android box but am open to using whatever software.

Main criteria is i can use my phone to control Spotify, rather than using a browser to cast. If i didnt have to have a TV connected, even better.

Question: What do i need to install to basically use this as an audio streamer? Happy to flash it or just install some software.

Android box is an Xgody Box with remote control, wifi, 3gb ram, usb's, optical out, hdmi out, 3.5mm out. Full spec below.
  • CPU – Amlogic S912 octa core ARM Cortex A53 processor @up to 2.0GHz
  • GPU – ARM Mali-820MP3 @up to 750MHz
  • OS – Android 6.0 Marshmallow
  • Memory – 3 GB DDR3
  • Storage – 16GB eMMC flash + micro SD slot up to 32GB
  • Video Output – HDMI 2.0a with HDR and CEC support up to 4K @ 60 fps, and AV port for composite output
  • Audio Output – HDMI, AV (stereo audio), and optical S/PDIF
  • Video codecs – VP9-10 profile 2 up to 4K @ 60 fps, H.265 [email protected] up to 4K 60fps, H.264 AVC up to 4K @ 30 fps, H.264 MVC up to 1080p60, MPEG-4, WMV/VC-1 SP/MP/AP, AVS-P16(AVS+)/AVS-P2 JiZhun Profile, MPEG-2 MP/HL, MPEG-1 MP/HL, and RealVIDEO 8/9/10 all up to 1080p60
  • Audio codecs – MP3, AAC, WMA, RM, FLAC, Ogg, and support for 5.1 down-mixing
  • Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual band WiFi 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0 (Ampak AP6330 module)
  • USB – 4x USB 2.0 ports
  • Misc – IR receiver, LEDs backlight
  • Power Supply – 5V/2A

Can you confirm that your Android box isn't visible as an 'Available Device' in the Spotify App running on your Samsung phone?

Hi, just double checked, no it doesnt appear as an available device. I assume as its not a spotify certified device....

OK. If you download and run the Spotify App on the Android box you should then see the box as an available device on your phone. Note that you have to use the app rather than accessing Spotify in a browser. You should then be able to use your phone as the Spotify Connect control point.

Thats the thing- i go onto google play store on the android box and spotify doesnt show up...things like plex and deezer and tidal are there though but i need spotify.
Maybe its because the box is on android 6? It doesnt seem to update, i've seen firmware for android 7 but a lot of reports that it bricks the android box...

I go onto google play store on the android box and spotify doesnt show up
Oh dear that's a bit of a blow. Not sure why Spotify shouldn't be in the Google Play Store. Is that the standard Store or Android TV store? My old Android tablet on Android 5.1 works fine with the Spotify App so I wouldn't have thought the Android version is an issue.
Without access to the app I'm not sure that you can get any further without resorting to alternative hardware e.g. using a Chromecast audio device to feed Spotify into your DAC rather than via your Android box.

Just do an update on it, it's not doing what you want now anyway and you said it's cheap

I found a place you can download the spotify.apk file and install it. Will try that otherwise, yes will just try updating the box anyway :) thanks

Spotify.apk file download onto the Android box and it works.
Go into spotify app on my phone and the Android box now appears to be connected to. Excellent. Free streamer lol.

Connected Android box via HDMI to Denon AVR-X3600, Spotify appears on the OLED in 4k/upscaled pin sharp.
Sound via Hdmi is flat/lifeless though :(
Connected and setup Optical from the Android Xgody and immediate improvement.

Compared the SQ from Samsung s9 > Android box Optical > Denon avrx3600.
with Samung s9 > Denon avrx3600

and they sound very similar - the Android box requires the Denon to be turned up more but the SQ seems pretty much the same i think with no noise even if i press my ear to my B&W's.

All in all a 'free' chromecast alternative as i forgot it was in the loft until last week.

Need a dac now so i can connect it up to the Naim poweramp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom