Question How to upscale?

Phry

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have a Sony KD65XE9005 TV. The only thing I have connected to it is my PC, via an AV receiver. I am connected via HMDI, and have my Windows 7 resolution set to the native 4K. This all works fine.

Trouble is, when I then play a video file of a movie or whatever which is 1080 or less, the TV does not upscale. I see my friend's TVs upscale old content and it looks great but not mine.

The "Mastered in 4K" option is grayed out in the menu, I assume because the TV recognises a 4k input from my PC?

Does anyone know how I can get my TV to upscale low res content?

Help appreciated.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
No, the TV won't upscale if the PC is set to 3840x2160/4K as there's nothing for it to upscale. You need to use the scale to full screen option on your media player on PC if you're only seeing the video fill a quarter of the screen.

If the video is filling the whole screen then it's being upscaled, and the different in quality is down to the different scaling algorithms. If you're not happy with the upscaling then you need to investigate what options and alternative scaling methods are available on your media player software.

Phry

Standard Member
Are there any good options for software upscaling on Windows? I had tried MadVR now that you mention it but it basically didn't work. I noticed nothing on any setting and most slowed my PC to a halt.

next010

Distinguished Member
Are there any good options for software upscaling on Windows? I had tried MadVR now that you mention it but it basically didn't work. I noticed nothing on any setting and most slowed my PC to a halt.

Did you follow tutorials like this and use a media player like MPC-BE with it,
view->options->video->video renderer if madvr is properly installed it will appear in this list.

You may not even need madvr if tweaking the built in EVR renderer resizer function in MPC-BE gives you what you need.

As an alternative MPDN comes preinstalled with it's HQ scalers. You might have to play around with settings to find what you like or ask over on Doom9 for pointers of scaling certain types of content.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom