1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to upscale satellite SD? Scaler or DVD with upscaler

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rushers, Aug 8, 2005.

1. rushers

rushers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the process of setting up an entertainment room. Most of my viewing is Satellite SD esp sport, and I want to get the the best PQ possible in the cicumstances.

Is it possible to upscale satellite SD via a DVD with an upscaler? If so how?
    How much better will the PQ be?
    How much better than with a video processor/scaler?

My problem is that I do not have access to a dealer or professional where I live in order to get a scaler properly set up. I certainly do not have the knowledge or expertise to do this myself, so may spend money on great kit which I cannot get the maximum benefit from. I only have access to SD and this is unlikely to change for some time. Should I just stick to a CRT tele rather than a microdisplay?

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Only part 3 will do the job you're after.
    Part one would require it to be a DVD Recorder and the transmission recorded, before the scalar function would becme active, I believe.
    PQ will be much better, but don't expect it to be equal to DVD upscaled or true HD. It's still be a much welcomed improvement.
    Look for any posts here by Gordon @ Convergent AV and drop him a PM about ho much it'd cost to have him provide a suitable unit and set-up of the system.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Rushers there are one or two DVD players that can take in signals from Sky TV etc and carry out advanced processing. They aren't cheap and it's exactly the same as getting a dedicated processor. Even if it were possible in a budget upscaling DVD deck, the scaling and deinterlacing used is quite basic compared to what a video processor could do for you so in that hypothetical the quality improvement wouldn't be massive.

What kind of display do you have? Processors are not the easiest to setup from scratch, especially with less common displays. But if you have something that is quite popular then most processor dealers would you supply you a unit with the correct timings for your display (not just a default setting with the same resolution but a specific set of timings). This would only leave you to adjust grayscales and colour as I assume you do now using AVIA or DVE etc. I doubt you would be able to get the maximum potential from a processor without a professional visit, but I reckon you could get a significant improvement. Where are you based out of interest? You would be amazed where Gordon ends up on his travels!!!

4. rushers

rushers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam, thanks for the input.
    Unfortunately I live in south africa, so probably a little out of Gordon's way. As yet I have not purchased any kit. I wanted to really investigate all the aspects first before rushing in and buying anything and then being frustrated. I have found this forum and the avs forum hugely helpful and informative.
    My problem is that every dealer wants to flog you a display that looks great when fed DVD, but horrible when fed SD satellite or analogue. They then expect one to fork out some big numbers and have no idea how to improve or optmise. Most of the guys just get a blank look when one mentions a scaler. I had researched the following displays Samsung SP 56 L7, Sammy SP 50 L6, Sammy LE 40 R51B, Sony LCD (rear proj) WE 50. They all had good and bad aspects and was going to look at 1/2 plasmas as well. I was looking at hooking it up with Panasonic S97 DVD/Samsung HD 850, Denon 1905/2805. Will think about speakers later. Ideally I would have liked a projector but the setup is going into a room with a LOT of light and sunlight coming in. This is partly why I have avoided the plasmas because of the glass relection. I will naturally get one of the display setup DVDS such as AVIA etc.
    I am coming to work in the UK for a month quite soon so I wanted to get my ducks in a row and purchase some of the more transportable stuff when there.
    Tony

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL a little too far for Gordon methinks!!

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Maybe just a tad expensive for rushers - don't think Gordon would mind in the slightest.