How To Upload Sky Channel to Internet(IPTV)?

zakmuh

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

Hope you guys are well. I'm here seeking some help to set up a TV networking using internet (similar to cable TV system). This is not for commercial use but just to set this up between my house and office. What it is...

I want to connect/uplink, say Channel 1,2 and 3 from Sky box to internet (through Sky broadband router) and watch at my office room telly using an IP set-top-box?
If I'm to do this like traditional cable TV system then I think I would have to set it up like:

1.3 Sky boxes AV out to RF Modulator (multi)
2.RFM to Combiner (coax)
3.Combiner to RF Distribution Amp
4.RFD amp to TV RF port - TV UHF tuner scans for channels.

How do I go about setting this up for IPTV system and what gadgets I need to buy? Would it be straight forward like the above?

I'd highly appreciate if any once can advise me on this.

Many thanks.

Sky Q?

Hang on - are you saying this is to be used outside your house? If the office is a home office then OK otherwise you need to check with Sky about what your contract allows.

I took the office to be a different place to the house in the OP. One reason why I don't try to work out how to do what was being asked TBH. Not for commercial use isn't the only way you can infringe with Sky that's for sure.

Even if it is all in the one house that is paying for the source it appears to be video sending using a local network. In that case as noted it is ok and you can work out the best way to do it that doesn't transmit outside the premises paying for the source.

Meanwhile OP - your suggestions don't use the wifi router etc you said you wished to use? Distributing the RF around the building from a Sky box or two or three is about as simple as you suggest. I reckon the output on the box RF output would do the job though without the AV to RF conversion shenanigans? Also is it essential each box is only providing one broadcast channel? One box and a magic eye to change channels on the one Sky box would do the trick? If one box per channnel is required though and you use the box RF out, all you need to do is et each box output RF channel to different numbers so the receiving TV can tune the three seperate RF channels.

Or did you actually want to use your local network (router etc) to do the transmitting and receiving? RF is much easier to distribute from Sky boxes IMO

Thank you very much for your replies guys. I don't actually have a Sky box. What I have is a Humax box - I should have mentioned this earlier. So yes, this is to watch outside the house in different cities, outside the UK as well.

Outoftheknow, yes the receiver box RF output would do the job without the AV to RF conversion. So RF outs can go to combiner and then to distribution amp. How do I then connect this to the router? Would it be something like this:

Three Sky boxes RFs out to something like wireless router Modulator (which uploads AV on to internet and needs portal address setting up?)?
2. Internet router to IP set-to-box receiver (MAG 254 IPTV Set Top Box)
3. IPSTB to TV via AV/HDMI cable?

It doesn't matter if we tell you how it can be done. Transmitting a paid for source elsewhere when you are the original private payer and user will almost certainly be against a fee T&Cs, rules and laws. Another premises in the same country is already an issue. Sending it overseas is merely adding to your legal woes I suspect.

It's free-to-air channels - I don't pay anything to watch, just the TV licence. Would rules and laws still get in the way?

It's free-to-air channels - I don't pay anything to watch, just the TV licence. Would rules and laws still get in the way?
I can't see how they can't. The programs are copyright by the free to air broadcasters and if they want them to be broadcast somewhere else they will do that and make money.

I just can't see it is a good idea but you should seek advice from somebody who might know the answer for sure.

I'm sticking with it is somehow illegal and don't do it :)

Yeah, I should find out more on this but I'd argue if I pay licence and can watch it at location A, then why can't I watch it at location B...

Thanks

Connecting the output from your Humax to a Slingbox allows you to watch it and remotely control it from anywhere in the world where you can get an internet connection and it doesn't break any copyright law.

Connecting the output from your Humax to a Slingbox allows you to watch it and remotely control it from anywhere in the world where you can get an internet connection and it doesn't break any copyright law.
It still breaks copyright rules.
Take Netflix as an example, in the UK I can watch only programming for the UK market., I can't watch programming for the USA market. Yet if I go to the USA there is no issue with me watching USA market material using my UK subscription.
Global companies want all the benefits of globalisation and all the benefits of localisation.

Thanks for that Slingbox idea. Is it free to use, other than the cost of buying the unit?

I think the copyright law would jump in when you use it outside the UK for commercial purposes. When you're on a holiday etc, it wouldn't count. This is my assumption though

It doesn't break any copyright laws yes, you're assumption is correct.
There are no fees other than the cost of the unit. You can use the Slingplayer app on your iPad or incorporate it within your PC browser.
I've had a Slingbox 350 for the last 3 years and it gets used when we holiday in Orlando. It's connected to the composite video/audio output of my Sky+HD box and the picture quality is more than adequate for viewing on my iPad or my MacBook Pro. Once you've set it up for the equipment that's connected you pick an on-screen remote from a drop-down list (in my case Sky+HD) then you just use it to go into your planner etc and operate the box as though you were at home sitting in front of it.
Maplins sell them in the UK.

Nice one J, thanks.

So all what I have to do is just take the AV out from Sky box, connect to AV input port in Slingbox, plug it in to the ADSL router, go to Slinbox website and do all the settings and then use the App to watch it from the other side of the world? I'd guess the Sky box should be kept on running for you to watch on Tab/PC?

Yes, that's all you do. Just keep the Sky box in standby as normal. When you start the app from the app or browser you just login to your Slingbox account then select "Connect" to your Slingbox, which takes maybe 10-15 secs then in my case "No video detected" appears in the windowed screen because my Sky box is in standby. You then hit the remote icon, your Sky handset appears on-screen then hit the Sky or standby button and the Sky picture appears. You can adjust the aspect ratio (4x3, Widescreen etc) and can choose to watch in a window or full-screen. There is a slight delay between pressing the on-screen Sky handset button and the action being performed but you get used to it and you just have to remember to do it slowly.
If the internet connection is poor between where the Slingbox is located and your location you can get a bit of buffering obviously but I've read they'll work reliably down to a connection speed of around 2Mbps.
I have BT Fibre at home and most of the time it's been fine but you can get buffering if e.g. you're staying in a hotel with poor Wi-Fi speed.
My wife catches up with her Emmerdale episodes from the planner and likewise I'll watch a movie or box set from our hotel room in Orlando if we're having a quiet night in.

Just be aware that if there's someone at home watching the Sky box (or any other equipment) your Slingbox is connected to and you then remotely access it via your Slingbox app or browser the channel change or other activity will happen before their eyes and they'll wonder what the hell is going on [emoji1]
We don't have that problem as our daughter at home watches her own Tv in her bedroom.
My Slingbox doesn't get used much but when it is, it's invaluable and was a good buy.

EDIT. Meant to say, you can create a Slingbox account/s for another family member or friend and they can login with their own username/password and use the Slingbox themselves.
There is a Slingbox plugin for all the common browsers, Safari, Firefox etc.

Last edited:
Please allow me to clarify this....Slimbox simply controls programmes in Sky box through AV cable and we control the Slingbox online with a touch of a button on the tab? Should it be component cables and HDMI, both connected to Sky box?

Thanks J. I think I should go for it. I can't find 'like' or 'thank' button to appreciate you above posts. Maplin has discontinued SLinboxes. So I'll hunt around on Ebay.

I'd be happy if I can have another device to connect online on the other location and plug that to a TV (non smart TV without wifi, so that I don't have to go online) - I could keep that device connected to internet full time and it'd be simply switching the TV on and off?

Last edited:
Please allow me to clarify this....Slimbox simply controls programmes in Sky box through AV cable and we control the Slingbox online with a touch of a button on the tab? Should it be component cables and HDMI, both connected to Sky box?

You'd still have the HDMI connected to the Tv and the composite (not component, there are no modern Sky boxes with component now) connections (yellow/red/white) to the slingbox.

Hi,

I was doing a research on all Slingbox models and decided to go for 350. But I need to clarify this before I buy any one if it.

1. Should Slingbox be connected to TV as well, like AV in from Sky box and the AV out to TV? Can I not connect only Sky box?

2. And also in and 350, can I not connect RCA cable (yellow, red and white) or it must be those 5 wired composite/component cable? ( I know in 500 it has HDMI ports)

Thanks

I have the 350.
It's not connected to my Tv, it doesn't need to be.
Yes, you can use the composite cables only, which is what I do. (yellow, red & white) connected to a scart to phono adapter plugged into the scart socket on my Sky+HD box. Some Sky boxes have composite phono sockets in which case you don't need the scart adapter. you don't need to use component cables, it just gives you an alternative means of connecting to any equipment with component out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom