• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

How to TV channels make there money?

Been wondering this today. Obviously the BBC generate there income via the TV License but how about ITV, C4 and Five (to name but a few)

Do they generate enough money to pay wages/show development/equipment upgrades simply by advertising revenue?

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Been wondering this today. Obviously the BBC generate there income via the TV License but how about ITV, C4 and Five (to name but a few)

Do they generate enough money to pay wages/show development/equipment upgrades simply by advertising revenue?

afaik yes, although I would say that they might get some extra money from selling shows they make abroad?

Interesting link.

So let me get this right. Ofcom think C4 should be the heart of a service to rival the BBC but need's a change in direction due to funding difficulties.

So.... C4 are in talks with the BBC for a merger/partnership...... :rotfl:

Steven

Senior Moderator
Well bear in mind that it is in their remit to offer public service programming

And I think they have suggested BBC Worldwide because one one level "separate" from BBC

SanPedro

SKY also make money from their subscriptions.

Commercial channels also make money from sponsorship of programmes, which is just advertising by a different name.

The BBC and other channels also licence a lot of their programme formats overseas - such as strictly come dancing, x-factor, etc.

shodan

Distinguished Member
Isn't the money made through advertising and selling shows?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom