How to turn off Windows Defender in Windows 10?

pratibha91

Novice Member
I've try off it from setting but it still scan some folders like windows activator. How can I fix it?

Jaquliney

Standard Member
Turn off antivirus protection in Windows Security
  • Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Manage settings (or Virus & threat protection settings in previous versions of Windows 10).
  • Switch Real-time protection to Off. Note that scheduled scans will continue to run.

Turn on Windows Defender
  • Select the Start menu.
  • In the search bar, type group policy. ...
  • Select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus.
  • Select Disabled or Not configured. ...
  • Select Apply > OK

outoftheknow

AFAIK turning it off as above will reset on a restart.

To permanently disable it is deliberately difficult. 10 Pro allows it but not on the simple settings above. To do it on non Pro you need to head into the registry (which you can do on Pro of course but it gives you an interface to set things where you are less likely to balls it all up.

You get what you ask for. MS was practically taken to court for not providing AV in their OS. I suspect the lawyers insist it isn’t easy to disable. Install another one and I’m pretty sure that kills it off.
They don’t want you to be able to not have an AV running......

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom