how to transfer recordings to dvd from sky hd box

fishermanz

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi there
can anyone tell me how i can save my sky hd box recordings to dvd as i dont have a dvd recorder but i do have one on my pc and i also have an external hard drive but im not sure how to connect them as it doesnt say in the sky book.
any help would be appreciated
:lease:

You can't do it other than by capturing the output from the Sky box via s-video & re-encoding it. You can't just copy the files, they're encrypted.

It would be easier to buy a DVD recorder.

As said really, buy a DVD recorder or get a TV card for your PC and record the output from the Sky box. You could then burn this file to DVD using Nero or whatever.

Just remember that any recordings that you make wont be in HD

You can buy fairly cheap (about £200, I think) SDI capture cards that can can capture HD on your pc. The problem is that these usually need an SDI interface, and that would mean a mod to your skybox, adding more expense. You would probably want to code them on to DVD disk using DIVX to archive the movie in HD res (I've never tried this, perhaps someone could correct me if I'm off here - I think you would have capacity issues). You can get SDI cards that will take component, but I dont think they are cheap :( .

Sounds like a pain to me. Probably best to just record in SD. Many DVD recorders will do it on the fly. Much easier.

I read somewhere that there is no way to get a HD recording off the Sky box. i.e. the HD recordings are encrypted and can only be played back on a Sky box.

Aye, but video capture through component is possible (if not quite slow :( ). I was thinking about this last night. It could be a nice little project to build a small form factor pc for this. Its an expensive solution, mind.

Well, someone on usenet is releasing HD eps of Stargate SG-1 aired on SkyOne HD in hidef. So it must be possible, dunno how they're doing it though.

Well, someone on usenet is releasing HD eps of Stargate SG-1 aired on SkyOne HD in hidef. So it must be possible, dunno how they're doing it though.

What format are they in? Could you pm me a linky so I can investigate?

PC based option using a dvb-s2 sat card with suitable CAM and genuine SKY HD subscription smartcard.

Can't say anymore because the mystic arts of emulation is beyond me and don't want to annoy the mods:)

PC based option using a dvb-s2 sat card with suitable CAM and genuine SKY HD subscription smartcard.

Can't say anymore because the mystic arts of emulation is beyond me and don't want to annoy the mods:)

So the dude has a normal DVB-S2 card wtih CAM and uses a SkyHD smart card to plug into CAM? That's pretty sweet, means one can avoid the costs of a stuipd SkyHD box.

Hopefully the method will get out sooner or later but I'm about to purchase a DVB-S2 card, would a Happague HVR-4000 be a wise choice? The CAM module is coming out Q1 of 2007. What card should I purchase to get Sky to work on it (eventually).

I read somewhere that there is no way to get a HD recording off the Sky box. i.e. the HD recordings are encrypted and can only be played back on a Sky box.

So, if you can't record HD onto DVD, I presume regular broadcasts are alright. Does anyone have any experience of the quaility of these recordings?:confused:

Algoz, quality is good. I have a cheap (£80) Sanyo refurb connected via scart to my HD box and it works really well, either transferring recorded progs to disc to keep, or recording live whilst viewing (e.g. 6 hours of cricket overnight). Quality from HD looks better than SD, although it is not in HD of course. Hope it works out for you.

So, if you can't record HD onto DVD, I presume regular broadcasts are alright. Does anyone have any experience of the quaility of these recordings?:confused:

I used to record stuff from my regular Sky box onto DVD using 2hr or 4hr option per DVD and was happy with the recording playback quality.

Thing is since getting SkyHD you notice the difference alot more now as 1) The skyhd box improves the SD channels and 2) The HD channels are even better.

Worse case I got was recording to DVD a HD 156min (i.e. its longer than 2.5hr DVD mode) film. Had to resort to using the 4hr DVD record mode. Comparing the DVD playback to the SD channel version on the regular sky box wasn't too much difference. Comparing it to the SD version on Skyhd box showed a definate degradation. Comparing to the HD channel version OMG as it was then I noticed that you could only just make out some of the credits etc on the recording!

So I would say 1hr DVD mode recordings are fine if you are looking to back up episodes of your favourite soaps etc but films etc needing 2hr+ mode take quite a hit :(

I used to record stuff from my regular Sky box onto DVD using 2hr or 4hr option per DVD and was happy with the recording playback quality.

Thing is since getting SkyHD you notice the difference alot more now as 1) The skyhd box improves the SD channels and 2) The HD channels are even better.

Worse case I got was recording to DVD a HD 156min (i.e. its longer than 2.5hr DVD mode) film. Had to resort to using the 4hr DVD record mode. Comparing the DVD playback to the SD channel version on the regular sky box wasn't too much difference. Comparing it to the SD version on Skyhd box showed a definate degradation. Comparing to the HD channel version OMG as it was then I noticed that you could only just make out some of the credits etc on the recording!

So I would say 1hr DVD mode recordings are fine if you are looking to back up episodes of your favourite soaps etc but films etc needing 2hr+ mode take quite a hit :(

Very true, was looking to archive the recent Star Wars to the best quality I could get but there is no point as quality is just pants on a 4hr record mode

I have found this to, quality in 4 hour mode is like watching VHS or something!

You could try the Cielplus interface card that interfaces a Sky box via. USB2 to your PC, and then burn to DVD. Don't know if this works in a SkyHD box, or just in normal digiboxes - according to the Satcure review, it can be used to grab HD transport streams - to quote "HD has also been recorded using Cielplus! By selecting channel 988 BBC SW it 'tunes' your Skybox to the transponder carrying the free to air BBC HD channel."

Panasonic DVD recorders have a variable recording quality option ie you set the number of minutes & it then records at the highest rate possible to fit. eg a 2hour 10 minute movie is set for 140 minutes & the result is very close to 2hr quality & a lot better than the 4 hour option.

Yes, you have to use certain older Amstrad models though. Once you install it as a source for TSReader you can record SD unencrypted just fine. Doesn't work for the HD chans though (actually, it miiiiiiiiight work History/NatGeo since those are on a regular DVB-S transponder, although you'd need to get the HD sub, pair it to the HD box, then repair it to the Amstrad just to record them, then repair it again to the HD box just to watch it "normally"... a bit long winded when a PC + CAM can do SD + HD without that much hassle).

Yah, I just read some reviews for the device, it's pretty neat.

I dont get how to view SkyHD with a HD card and a DVB-S2/CAM card. How exactly can you do it? Care to PM a link? I'd love to be able to just pay for a SkyHD without the £299 box.

Edit: So basically this is what I need:

A DVB-S2 card with a CAM reader ala Twin Han's
A CAM Access card ala T.Rex
And a SkyHD card, you pop the skyHD card into the CAM reader, use some software (which software?) and you'll be able to rip the TS?

But what is the difference between the various T.rex access cards? Some are more expensive than others. Which one do I actually need?

You're on the right lines, although the exact stuff you need I don't know. There's a thread (I forget which) about setting it all up for MCE use on this forum, there are people there who could help you.

I never tried HD recordings with the Cielplus on any high definition channels except the BBC one (using an Amstrad digibox).
For anyone interested my review of the Cielplus (with screengrabs etc.) is on page 60 of the March 2007 What Satellite Magazine.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Very true, was looking to archive the recent Star Wars to the best quality I could get but there is no point as quality is just pants on a 4hr record mode
Could you not use DL DVD discs ...As you can get these for less then a quid each now..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom