How to transfer from a computer to a laptop

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Frazal666, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I want to transfer data from a computer to a laptop. How do I do it? Is there a way to connect using USB, Networking, etc?

If there is a way to connect using a network, could you explain to me how to do it please? Just tell me what type of connection I need on my laptop (My PC has Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter), thanks.

If there is no way, could anyone recommend me any cheap transfer things.

Cheers

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Assuming your laptop doesn't have a built-in network connection you'll need a PCMCIA slot which can take a PCMCIA network adaptor. You'll then need what's called a 'crossover cable' to allow direct connection of the two network cards.

You'll then need to configure Windows networking on both machines .. I'm assuming both are running Windows. It's not difficult but if you've not done it before there'll be a few things you may need learn about but it's not complicated.

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    You can get a USB to Ethernet adapter which are very easy to fit, if both machines are running Windows XP then setting up the network is relatively easy. If they are running different operating systems, then it is a little trickier. Alternatively you can get a USB flash drive and copy files across that way, or write them to cd/dvd and transfer them over.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Is it possible to connect a windows 200o Pc to a XP Prof Lap top to down load files for archiving/backup/buring onto DVD?

Or do youhave to use ether net card? I guess the PC will have a ethernet connection (its a dell)

Adrian

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well there are file transfer tools like Lap Link which work on any type of connection you can imagine, including serial and parallel ports, but given that networking hardware is so cheap IMHO these days such tools seem pretty superfluous in most situations where they could be used.