how to transfer files from PVR to PC

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by PVRcrazy, Jan 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. PVRcrazy

PVRcrazy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a HD PVR Soniq T1000-AU Unit.

I want to know how do I transfer all the files I have recorded from the tv onto my PVR unit to computer.

My HD on the PVR is full now but I don't want to delete anything I want to keep the files I just cannot seem to work out how to transfer them to the computer .
    I have rung soniq they told me it was never meant to do that.

I researched the net looking for software to do it, nothing I found. I am at a loss.

Does anyone know how to transfer files from soniq PVR unit to computer.

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    In short, you cannot do a pure digital transfer, as the programs are not stored as video files on the hard drive, but as encoded MPEG2 streams. I noticed on a review that you should be able to transfer files via USB, but this was described as "Hit and Miss". I assume the manual gives you some guidance on this point. It might well be you cannot copy protected content or some other limitation.

You could potentially back up the drive or move the files to a bigger drive if your PC will read the Soniq drive, but you would need to disassemble the PVR and hope it uses a conventional file format.

The only other way is to use a video capture card and manually transfer the files over. This will lose quality though.

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    You could record them in real time to a DVD Recorder. The DVD's will have the digital video data that can be read by a PC.

You could also use a usb digitising device. These are sold cheaply to convert analogue video to digital for burning to DVD.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. PVRcrazy

PVRcrazy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

thanks graham for your reply

Can you tell me how do you record them in real time to a dvd recorder i don't know how to connect the wires??
    Also I don't know what usb digitising device is??

I know nothing about technology equipment.

The soniq unit was a gift for me.
    thanks

5. PVRcrazy

PVRcrazy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks noiseboy72
    The manual is useless, my pc won't read the soniq drive its encrypted I think. I don't want to disassemble the unit.
    With the video capture card i have no idea about it
    Will this work and transfer the files over have you ever tried it. I don't want to waste my money on the card then find out it won't work due to the soniq encryption.
    I have no idea about technology equipment

thanks

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    Basically you connect a scart socket on your pvr (it may well have a vcr scart socket) to a scart socket on the DVDR. You then set the DVDR to record from whatever scart you used (say AV1). Start the DVDR recording start playback of the recordings you want to archive thats it.

The other route uses a usb gadget to convert the analogue video coming out of your pvr to digital and records it on a PC in a format that can be burnt to DVD.

Example

Kworld DVD Maker USB2.0 - Video input adapter - Hi-Speed USB - External

Don't expect fantastic quality.