Quantcast

How to to direct files to different discs?

Forgive me if this seems a bit of a lame question but i have only ever had two bay NAS before configured to RAID! so never had the opportunity to try otherwise,
In the brief time i was able to do some configuration of my F5-221 NAS (faulty sent back for replacement) i had added three HDDs and configured two to RAID1 and one as a single disc and would have been adding two more as single discs later and....... in the process i couldn't find a way to direct where a file i wanted to save was to reside IE the RAID1 or the single disc so the question is how do i do this in future when i have one RAID1 and three single discs? presuming its a similar process on most NAS types?

maf1970

so the question is how do i do this in future when i have one RAID1 and three single discs?
So your NAS box File Manager should show 4 shares each with names, these will represent the RAID 1 Array and each of the single drives.
I am assuming you are meaning when you save say from Word or some other application it doesn't offer you a path to the NAS.
On Windows in File Explorer, on the left hand side is a window with a list of locations - if you look for Network then right click on it and select Map Network Drive. You should get a window like this -
avf.jpg

From here you have the choice to setup a generic map or ones to match each of the shares.
So say for the generic one you would choose a drive letter(best to choose G or later) and in the folder line you would put - \\NAS IP address\ OR \\NAS Name\
This when set should take you to the top of the tree for the shares and you should be able to see each one. Now you need the two boxes checked underneath because -
1. You will want it to reconnect to the NAS in the future
2. You need a username and password for the NAS so you will want to input that and have it retain it rather than ask you for it every time you try and save something.
Then click Finish.

I am guessing that because the unit or its software was messing about when i mapped the network drive the result was not complete...i ask because my two bay NAS running RAID1 will show up in the computer section of windows and from there i can see all folders from there and its not mapped.

Should i not be able to see the individual drives (excepting RAID1) in its own software? as i couldn't despite setting up the third disc as a separate pool i still couldn't specify that drive to send/save a pics folder to?

maf1970

How do the NAS boxes get their IP Address ? Static or DHCP ?

bubblegum57

My synology used DHCP. I then used that ip as my static address. (& saved it in the config)

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Quick 1-o-1: If you are accessing data across a network, you never see the "drives" at all, what you see are the "shares" that the NAS advertises. If you wanted to, you could so choose to create shares so that they map to the root of the drives and/or RAID array(s) and name them appropriately. (Share names can usually be anything, they don't have to correspond to the folder/drive they point to.)

Also, if you have statically assigned an IP address on your NAS (ie set the IP on the NAS itself) you should ensure the IP address chosen is outside the range the DHCP Server in your router in managing (to prevent the DHCP Server allocating the same IP address to something else and creating conflict.)

Quick 1-o-1: If you are accessing data across a network, you never see the "drives" at all, what you see are the "shares" that the NAS advertises. If you wanted to, you could so choose to create shares so that they map to the root of the drives and/or RAID array(s) and name them appropriately. (Share names can usually be anything, they don't have to correspond to the folder/drive they point to.)

My problem is/was i couldent see a way to do this IE choose the drive to associate a share name with...have to wait untill i recive the new NAS to try things out.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
The Share names will be created and published on/from the NAS itself. The client (Windows by the looks of it) then "maps" (or "mounts" depending on the OS nomenclature) the Share and makes it available on the client.

Whilst there's no reason not to use drive handles, they are bit "old school" these days and most versions of Windows after about 7 will let you mount the UNC paths directly (or, for example, create links to them and pin them on your desktop, Quick Access, etc.) or just plain old browse for them.

For example (on Windows 10) to create a shortcut on the desktop, right click on the desktop somewhere, create "new" "Shortcut," enter "\\NAS_Name\Sharename" for the share you want (Windows may even populate a list of them for you to choose from) give the shortcut a name if you want it to be different to the Share name e.g. "Movies" or "NAS Drive 0" or whatever, "OK" and your done. To access said share in future, all you need to do it click into the link.

There's various ways to skin this particular cat.