• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to test Windows 8

7ewis

I want to play around with Windows 8, but cannot use VirtualBox because my laptop, despite being about 3 years old doesn't support VT-x, so Sony could make it cheaper or something..

I was going to install it onto a new partition, but I don't really know much about partitions..

I found out that you can only have 4 primary partitions on 1 hard drive.

At the moment I have:
10GB Recovery Partition
100MB System Reserved, Primary Partition
300GB Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition (Win7)
150GB Primary Partition (Ubuntu)
3GB Primary Partition (Linux-Swap)

How can I get rid of some partitions? Why does Ubuntu need 2 Primary partitions? Why does the 100MB partition need to be primary?

HELP! How can I clean this up to keep Windows 7 (or possible upgrade that to 8) and keep Ubuntu 12.04?

MikeTV

Distinguished Member
This thread probably needs to be moved to the PC forum, however...

If you just want to play around Windows 8, I suggest you create a virtual drive in Windows 7 (a VHD file). You can then install Windows 8 to the VHD file, and boot to Windows 8, as though it was a separate partition.

The nice thing about this configuration is that it is only the drive that is virtual. The system (windows 8) is still running on your PC hardware, and so it barely impacts performance.

You can find more information here: How To Guide to Installing and Booting Windows 8 Consumer Preview off a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) - Scott Hanselman

In other words, the VHD file is just an ordinary file on your hard drive (not a partition), and can be backed-up or deleted later as necessary.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom