How to test the gyro in iPhone 4?

JonStatt

Does anyone know if there are any applications that allow us to test whether the gyro is working in the new iPhone 4?

hot-fuzz

Banned
Theres a very simple app called Earth AR.
ITs a spinning globe that you use the gyroscope to see it from different angles in augmented reality.
Lasts about 5 seconds before you get bored, but it is free and shows the gyroscope working.

JonStatt

Thanks for the replies.

The compass uses...the electronic compass. It does not use the gyro

Earth AR from what I can see is using the accelerometer and compass together but not the new gyro

I am still searching for an app that actually uses the gyro only found in the iPhone 4. There may not be one yet! And authors may not want to write something that only works on this one phone yet.

aref

Theres a game called Eliminate: Gun Range on the App Store, 59p and uses the gyro. I've got it, its pretty cool.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies.

The compass uses...the electronic compass. It does not use the gyro

Earth AR from what I can see is using the accelerometer and compass together but not the new gyro

I am still searching for an app that actually uses the gyro only found in the iPhone 4. There may not be one yet! And authors may not want to write something that only works on this one phone yet.

The compass does use the gyro as it is much more stable than the 3GS one.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Ah I hadn't realised that..although its hard to actually see its effect in that application. I will try the recommended game!

Thanks again for the replies :)

The eliminate game shows the gyro very well, lots of potential for wii type games.

daymouse

Distinguished Member
The eliminate game shows the gyro very well, lots of potential for wii type games.

I agree great game but the controls are messing my head up as they're the wrong way round!

Up is down, down is up, left is right & right is left.

I need it up is up, down is down, etc

jmac

Distinguished Member
In this video:

Gyroscope gunning on the iPhone 4 with Eliminate: Gun Range (video) -- Engadget

The fella has a Gmail icon for his mail, how has that been possible, didnt think the iphone4 was jailbroken?

when in safari and you click "add a bookmark" you can also select somthing along the lines of "add bookmark to desktop" i imagine that is what he has done...
basicly it will open your safari and take you to the gmail page..
cant remember if it did that on my 3gs as i sold it about a month ago.. maybe a new thing is ios4? my ipad also does it...

Last edited:

jwalsh82

The bookmark is normally a screenshot of the webpage though, not an actual icon like that. I'm very curious as to how he has done it.

SeaneyC

The bookmark is normally a screenshot of the webpage though, not an actual icon like that. I'm very curious as to how he has done it.

Depends, if i do a homepage bookmark of the BBC site it puts up the BBC logo and not the screenshot.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom