How to test HDMI inputs?

badbob

Ex Member
Reaction score
I've ordered a LG 32LX2R, when it arrives I want to test the DVI & HDMI inputs work with HDCP material. I'll be borrowing a ATI 9000 videocard with DVI out so I can test the DVI input. However I don't have a HDMI DVD player. How can I test the HDMI input?- with a DVI to HDMI adaptor?

Or will I have to buy/borrow a HDMI DVD player with HDCP capability?
Also my laptop videocard doesn't allow custom resolutions, however is there a way of installing the VGA output secondary monitor to the native resolution of the panel? I have NTSC & PAL material so will need to check 50hz & 60hz also. My other DVD players have Component, SCART and S-Video.

As far as I know there is no HDCP material yet.
Also Nvidia has only just announced the first video cards with proper HDCP so the ATI 9000 won't support HDCP even if it did exist.
If you want to customise your own resolutions try Powerstrip.

So there's no way of testing if the HDMI input supports HDCP?:rolleyes:

If it's called or labelled HDMI then it has to support HDCP ; the use of the HDMI symbol is only allowed if it supports this.
It's DVI where it is optional.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

As Chris said, all HDMI inputs support HDCP.

Also if the TV has the HD READY logo, it's guaranteed to support HDCP. Anything else is false advertising and grounds for a refund.

Actually, wasn't there some LG set that had HDCP compliant DVI on it, but not HDMI?

It is my understanding that HDCP is not actually a requirement with HDMI, but 99% of the time it is there. The information should be in the specifications / manual though.

As Lyris says, if it has the HD Ready logo, then your display supports HDCP - this does not guarantee your HDMI port does though, if you have DVI it could be that instead. (or both)

andrewfee said:
Actually, wasn't there some LG set that had HDCP compliant DVI on it, but not HDMI?
Indeed, the 26"/32" model that badbob has ordered. Presumably hence his question...
andrewfee said:
It is my understanding that HDCP is not actually a requirement with HDMI, but 99% of the time it is there. The information should be in the specifications / manual though.
That's what the hdmi.org website appears to suggest (e.g. this posting). If anyone knows of definitive confirmation that the HDMI spec requires HDCP, that would be useful ammo against LG.
andrewfee said:
As Lyris says, if it has the HD Ready logo, then your display supports HDCP - this does not guarantee your HDMI port does though, if you have DVI it could be that instead. (or both)
Yes, that's what LG customer support have been claiming...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom