How to tell the kids...

BAN5HEE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Got back from France Yesterday having had a great Christmas and holiday with the kids (Girl 3) and (boy 5). This Morning my wifes Mum died. She is obviously in an absolute daze and very distraught and I have kept the kids occupied with Christmas presents and movies but will have to explain it to them soon as they were due to go to her house becuase Santa left something under her tree for them. It's going to be a very hard conversation...

BAN5HEE said:
Got back from France Yesterday having had a great Christmas and holiday with the kids (Girl 3) and (boy 5). This Morning my wifes Mum died. She is obviously in an absolute daze and very distraught and I have kept the kids occupied with Christmas presents and movies but will have to explain it to them soon as they were due to go to her house becuase Santa left something under her tree for them. It's going to be a very hard conversation...

No advice mate, but you and your family have my full support (if thats the right phrase) and I wish you good luck.

Again, there's no sugar coating this mate - it's going to be hard for you and I don't envy your predicament. I couldn't imagine having to tell my 9 yr old and 5 yr old that news. My condolences to your family at this difficult time though.

Blimey, sorry mate :(

Imo, it's just best to tell them straight out.
Gloss over it by saying she's gone to heaven etc, by all means.
I'd probably say how much she loved them and the pressies were a parting gift as well as for xmas.

Tough one though :(

There's a thread in the parents forum discussing this that might be helpful.

Thanks Fellas. Yeah we will definately be going the heaven and angel route. In one way I'm glad they are still pretty young as I'm sure they grieve differently and much shorter than we do.

A very difficult conversation for you to have with your kid especially if they were close to their granny. I have no real experience to draw on to advise you as you kids are a lot younger than my son was when i had to tell him his aunt had died (he was 13.)

I hope it goes well for you and condolences to you and your wife

I'm very sorry to hear of you and your family's loss. Not sure I can help with the process, but I'm hopeful its not to painful for them.
RIP

Recently had a death in the family connection, and to be honest any child under 10 wasn't that affected by it, which I found surprising.

I think they will be too young to fully grasp what has happened, but by all means tell them straight up.

Thanks guys. Yeah spoke to the kids and funnily enough my daughter who is the youngest was more upset. I thought my son who is 5 would have been more upset. However they both seem to have taken it in their stride.

Firstly, my condolences to you and yours. My father died unexpectedly in Apr 10', and my daughter was 3 at the time. We went down the whole heaven/ angel route, and although I personally don't believe in any of it, I did find comfort in using what I felt was a white lie to spare my little one the pain of losing her beloved grandad.
She still mentions him now, and has a couple of pictures of him in her bedroom, which she chose and wanted. I think kids of any age are affected more than us grown-ups realise, but this is no bad thing IMHO.
Hope all goes well for you, good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom