How to tame a noisy DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KAO, Oct 22, 2001.

1. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a modded Pioneer 626 which I love, apart from one thing....it's so noisy!
    I've heard mention from others that Pioneer drives can be a bit nosiy, so I'm not overly concerned that it's just mine. But it does get a bit much on quiet films...I find myself listening more to the DVD spinning round than the film (a considerable improvement with some films I've seen, admittedly :D ).

But how can I stop it? It's sat on a wooden shelf, not ideal probably but WAF prevents otherwise. I've tried the usual squash balls and stuff. Can anyone recommend anything else, or am I stuck with it?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The chassis and lid are fairly lightly built and a little resonant. So, if you're not averse to opening up the machine and tinkering about inside, you could try self-adhesive Bitumen Pads often sold as damping Material for Cars.

Use a few 12"x12" bitumen sheets/pads or similar acoustically absorbent material.

If you're prepared to work between PCBs (or even move them aside) fix one layer to the Bottom Plate, and Apply small rectangular Patches to the Sides of the Chassis and at "nodal" Points around the Bottom. Take care not to obstruct anything.

Apply one complete layer of Bitumen Pads to the underside of the lid or hood. You might want to put two layers there for maximum damping effect. Apply one rectangular strip each to the sides of the Hood making sure not to obstruct Screws holes or vent slits.

This might help quieten things a little. :D