How to sync hifi to TV wirelessly? Chromecast (maybe?) and more......

Smt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am trying to get my TV to sync to my hifi for better sound but have drawn a blank so I have come to the experts for some help.

My TV is on the other side of my lounge from the hifi and it's not possible to wire them together elegantly so I am looking for a wireless solution.

I have a Sony Brava TV, pre-Smart which I use via chromecast. If it matters, it has a (currently) unused optical-out. And on the other side of the room I have a Naim olive hifi system with a Naim NDX streamer. There is a chromecast Audio plugged into the NDX optical-in.

I had assumed I could create a Chromecast group between the NDX and the TV and sync them this way, but Google do not facilitate grouping between audio and video chromecasts (and for some reason that I can't remember it does not work if I instead use a video chromecast on the NDX).

Any ideas how I might get the TV sound to play out of my hifi in as simple and cost-effective wireless way as possible?

One thing that might be important for a solution (or might not!).... I am currently looking into buying wireless surround-sound headphones for the TV, an updated (and better) version of the Panasonic RP-WF950H maybe.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Just in case someone brings it up. I have no choice but to have my hifi speakers either side of my sofa. I deal with this by using Shahinian Arcs which are vaguely omnidirectional speakers. I do realise that I might have issues with transposition of right and left channels but if so I will deal with this once I've found a solution to my sync issue.

Last edited:
You should be able to connect the TV to a bluetooth audio transmitter.

This one has an optical input

I would assume you can use bluetooth as a source on your streamer. Not sure what sound quality would be like or if there would be a noticeable delay.

You can connect two devices to that transmitter as well so headphones & streamer at the same time.

Thanks. The NDX does not have bluetooth and neither does chromecast audio (well it does apparently but is only available for setup). :-(

The only solution I can think of is still quite flaky and I don't want it: Google TV and a bluetooth dongle.

Any other suggestions still very welcome!

Thanks. The NDX does not have bluetooth and neither does chromecast audio (well it does apparently but is only available for setup). :-(

That’s a shame, I’d looked on the Naim specs page and it said it supported AptX Bluetooth so I assumed that was as a source.

You can get Bluetooth receivers with an optical output.

Amazon

You will require a 1x2 Optical splitter on the TV Optical Output then connect the Headphone Basestation Optical Input to one Output of the Splitter and the add a Bluetooth Transmitter (with Optical Input) to the second Optical Out of the Splitter and then add a compatible Bluetooth Receiver to an Input on the HiFi system and ‘pair’ the Transmitter and Receiver.

You will need to ensure the Bluetooth TX/RX and Headphone system do not interfere with each other and will have to toggle the TV Optical Out between Stereo and 5.1 if you are hoping to send 5.1 to the Headphones (that assumes you would not normally be trying to use the Headphones and HiFi simultaneously).

Another option, if you have a spare CAT cable between the TV and HiFi, is to employ a Digital Audio over CAT Extender set and send ‘Optical’ audio that way to the HiFi.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom