How to stream

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by nickos, Jan 30, 2014.

1. nickos

nickos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I changed my Yamaha RX-673 for an audiolab amp and marantz CD002 cd player. Sound is infinitely better than the AV but i am now thinking i would like to stream my FLAC collection from my NAS to my audiolab. I see SONOS do a streamer for £279, and next to that one in the HIFI shop was a 2700 NAIM offering. Is the difference just in the DAC? if i buy a sonos and upgrade to a quality DAC will my sonos sound like a high end CD player or do i need to wait and buy a £1000 plus network streamer to get that quality?

thanks for your help

2. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    The Naim will handle up to 24/192 hi-rez FLAC, the Sonos tops out at CD-rip standard of 16/44.1 For sure, the Naim will have superior DAC and output stages, however the rest of your kit may not resolve any difference from the Sonos.

3. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    There are very decent DACs in some of the cheaper 'midfi' streamers, such as the Pioneer N-50 and Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6. Definitely worth a demo.

4. nickos

nickos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies guys, i will take a look.. i think you are right in that the naim would be overkill. But i am on the upgrade path, cdp has been changed for the CA azur 651 and eyeing up the naim nait 5si so wanted to look above the bottom end sonos provides