Question How to stream FireTV audio via HDMI on AV Receiver to Zone 2 and 3?

maverhick

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am using Zone 2 and 3 as speakers in my other rooms where I would like to stream audio from my FireTV (which is connected to my Pioneer AVR SC LX 85). Currently, only the main speakers work , but zone 2 and zone 3 don't.

I read about HDMI audio splitters, but I couldn't figure out how to get them to work in my situation. Can someone help with a more detailed response on what I need to be buying and talk me through the connections for Zone 2 and 3

Thanks!

It depends upon the AV receiver and the audio format. Older AV receivers lack the ability to portray HDMI sources in additional audio zones, but newer models now dascilitate this. THe audio must however be stereo in nature and you cannot portray the same source as a discrete multichannel source in the main room while simultaneously portraying it in stereo in the second audio zone.

I think that your receiver predates the ability to portray HDMI audio sources in additional audio zones?

If wanting to convey HDMI sources to a second room or zone then you'd need an AV receiver with a dedicated second HDMI zone output. Such an output would allow you to convey both the video and audio from an HDMI source connected the the AV receiver out to another HDMI input on an HDMI device.

I think that your receiver predates the ability to portray HDMI audio sources in additional audio zones?

You are right. Is there no other way around this? Is it possible to split HDMI signals into Digital Signals and also analogue signals? This way I might be able to input zone 2 and 3 from analogue audio signals?

You could uise the analogue audio outputs from sources that also include them as well as an HDMI output. If the device lacks such an output then you could start looking at HDMIaudio extractors that extract the audio and convert it to left and right analogue.

You could uise the analogue audio outputs from sources that also include them as well as an HDMI output. If the device lacks such an output then you could start looking at HDMIaudio extractors that extract the audio and convert it to left and right analogue.

In this case, if I want to output the firetv - what would I have to do? Connect the firetv to the splitter and then send the analogue to zone2 or 3 and the hdmi to the AVR?

Basically, use something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B07D7M8LDN
Place it between the source and the AV receiver and connect the HDMI output to an HDMI input on the AV receiver. Also use the left and right RCA output to connect the device to a left and right RCA audio input on the AV receiver. You'd need to then set the source to output 2 channel PCM. You'd be able to select the analogue audio source for output in the second audio zone.

Basically, use something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B07D7M8LDN
Place it between the source and the AV receiver and connect the HDMI output to an HDMI input on the AV receiver. Also use the left and right RCA output to connect the device to a left and right RCA audio input on the AV receiver. You'd need to then set the source to output 2 channel PCM. You'd be able to select the analogue audio source for output in the second audio zone.
Got it, Will try it out this weekend!

I took the stereo audio cable and used it as an input on the avr. I then selected the input within both zone 2 and 3. But the AVR is outputting to only one zone. Can zone 2 and 3 have the same analogue audio input?

I'm not overly familiar with your AVR, but yes, you'd ordinarilly be able to portray the same source in multiple zones. Note that you'd need to select that source for each zone independently though.

Last edited:
Thank you @dante01 - I'll try out some more settings to get this to work. Sometimes I feel the whole 5.1 system is too much for just watching a soap at times. While the Fire Stick is connected to the HDMI port of the AVR, can we also set up the AVR such that sometimes we just use the TV audio and not the AVR and the speakers?

Many AV receivers include the ability to passthrough HDMI sources while they are in standby. THis would allow both the video and the audio associated with the HDMI source to be passed through the AV receiver to the TV while the AV receiver isn't being used and while it is in standby. AS I've previously indicated, I'm not overly familiar with your AV receiver so cannot confirm as to whether or not your AVR has such an ability? If it has then you'd more than likely find the required setting within that AV receiver's HDMI configurations.

Thanks @dante01 , I was able to get this to work. The AVR does support pass through on standby. This solves my issues. The SC LX 85 supports this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom