How to store CDs long term

Kailash

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I ripped all my CDs a few years ago and now they are lying on a shelf gathering dust
i don't intent to sell them so i'm now looking to store them away to free up the space they are taking (think there's about 400)

one is the roofspace, the space is there but the drawback is the extremes in temperature. i had the idea of putting them in those vacuum bags then into boxes to try protect them somewhat, not sure it would work though 🤔
another option is high up shelving in one of the rooms, would keep them in a stable environment but will be unsightly.
3rd option i've thought of just now, is pack all the discs into those CD wallets and the booklets into something else, then put the blank cases in the roof space

4th option is your idea and what you've done? :)

Get a gigantic disc 'wallet' for the discs, which can just go under a bed or on a high shelf.
Put the jewel cases wherever you may, as long as it's not damp.

I had DVDs in a CD wallet for a decade & only 4 out of 200 were damaged, but it was down to poor manufacturing.

Some wallets will also allow you to put the disc cover on the backside of the 'page'.

Archive them in lossless digital format like flac then you can regenerate the CD should you ever need to. As for the actual physical disk storage I put mine in fruit crates and store them in the attic. They're out of the way but easy enough to get to should the need arise.

Archive them in lossless digital format like flac then you can regenerate the CD should you ever need to. As for the actual physical disk storage I put mine in fruit crates and store them in the attic. They're out of the way but easy enough to get to should the need arise.
how long have they been in the attic?
noticed any moisture damage or the like of the booklets or that (i suspect the discs would be fine over time)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom