How to stop YouTube app freezing or refusing to change video ?

elpidiovaldez5

Novice Member
I have an LG smart tv. For a good few months the YouTube app has been incredibly annoying.

After viewing about 3..5 videos it goes dark screen when a video is clicked. Pressing the Ok button on the remote seems to toggle between pause and play, but the status shows as 0:0:0 0:0:0 i.e. It has played zero seconds of a zero second video, but the screen remains dark. The only way to escape is with the 'back' button, but the same thing happens with other videos, or it replays the last video that played correctly (not the one I have just selected). The last video cannot be escaped for many tries, until suddenly it works normally again.

This is really annoying me now. I sometimes spend a couple of minutes just trying to play a video. I wonder if it is related to some failure of ads ? We get very few advertisers as we live rather off the grid and are not major consumers - could it be failing to find an ad that suits us ? Also we live in Jersey, which causes problems with regions at times.

I reinstalled the app from scratch, but it has made no difference.

sebna

Which LG TV you have? I have two different models and both are fine. YT is what I mostly watch.

Upvote 0

JayCee

Distinguished Member
“EG91” isn’t an LG model number.
You'll find the full model no printed on a label on the rear of the TV.

Upvote 0

mikej

I would just bite the bullet and do a factory reset and make sure your TV is running the latest firmware (check for software updates). Even though re-installing the YouTube app didn't help, you may find that this clears a cache or resets some other setting that could be causing the issue.

Failing that, a decent quality streaming stick would be an alternative way of solving the problem. Amazon Prime Day is coming up in July and their Fire TV Sticks are normally around half price.

Upvote 0

elpidiovaldez5

Novice Member
Details are:
software ver. 04.26.35
LG WebOS TV EG920V

YouTube App:
Ver. web_20220615_10_RC00
Dev. TV.LG/55EG920V-ZA WebOs 2015

Lang. en_GB
Geo. JE
client: TVHTML5.7.20220615.10.00

I have already reinstalled the YouTube App twice, but just did an 'App Reset', and enjoyed 5 minutes of video hopping with no problems - that was very unlikely before. I'll test more when I get time......
....and now I tested more and it still has the same problems. I notice that it plays the last video that I watched, but often shows the title of the video I am trying to watch. This app is completely bug-ridden !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mickmartin

Standard Member
I have an LG smart tv. For a good few months the YouTube app has been incredibly annoying.

After viewing about 3..5 videos it goes dark screen when a video is clicked. Pressing the Ok button on the remote seems to toggle between pause and play, but the status shows as 0:0:0 0:0:0 i.e. It has played zero seconds of a zero second video, but the screen remains dark. The only way to escape is with the 'back' button, but the same thing happens with other videos, or it replays the last video that played correctly (not the one I have just selected). The last video cannot be escaped for many tries, until suddenly it works normally again.

This is really annoying me now. I sometimes spend a couple of minutes just trying to play a video. I wonder if it is related to some failure of ads ? We get very few advertisers as we live rather off the grid and are not major consumers - could it be failing to find an ad that suits us ? Also we live in Jersey, which causes problems with regions at times.

I reinstalled the app from scratch, but it has made no difference.

I have the exact same problem on my LG UF770V and I’m also running the 04.26.35 firmware, It’s killing my soul.

First video plays fine until it’s gets to the first advert then black screen, hit the back and try to select another video and it plays the previous video you just attempted to watch of your lucky enough to get it to play, Sometimes if you hit the pause/play button several times it works but not often, then eventually mine starts showing random videos on the main screen which I ain’t even subscribed too.

Power off then on sorts it until the first advert again, 100% a bug with the adverts.

Upvote 0

elpidiovaldez5

Novice Member
I imagine there are very many people suffering from this bug. It will never get fixed. Modern technology is riddled with bugs and it suits the manufacturers, who will be very happy if you just keep buying this garbage, in the hope that one day you will get something that does the job it is meant to do !

LG will have no interest on fixing a problem on a model that is a few years old. They are only interested in selling a new model.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom