How to stop Win10 switching resolution when accessing without HDMI connected?

itm

I have a HTPC with video/audio output connected to my Onkyo AV receiver via HDMI. I often need to access it when the received is turned off, or when my wife is using the receiver to watch TV. When I do this, using VNC, Teamviewer or Anydesk, the display resolution constantly switches between two settings every few seconds, making it extremely difficult to carry out basic operations.
Does anyone know of a way of preventing this, so that the remote access session gets the same display resolution for the duration of the session?

unoduo

A dummy hdmi or DisplayPort plug connected to another video out on your pc (if you have one) would probably solve this. Just use the Windows display settings to select the dummy output when using remotely.

Amazon product

itm

A dummy hdmi or DisplayPort plug connected to another video out on your pc (if you have one) would probably solve this. Just use the Windows display settings to select the dummy output when using remotely.
A dummy plug is an interesting idea. How would I use Windows display settings to select the dummy output when connecting remotely? Is that something that I would have to do via the remote session every time I connected?

unoduo

Looks like I may have been mistaken about using Windows settings. i must admit to not being familiar with the software packages you use. I only have experience of Microsoft’s own Remote Desktop which doesn’t mirror the resolution of physically connected displays (in my use case).

Looks like each of the products you use have their own methods of choosing the display to view:

A simple, cheap, but not particularly elegant, option might be to combine the dummy plug with a cheap hdmi switch connected to your pc - enabling you to be able to toggle between the dummy display or your avr/tv without the hassle of using multiple displays.

itm

Thanks for sending the links. It looks as if Any.Desk might work with a dummy Displayport plug.

I have another couple of machines which I operate in headless mode, and which default to a very low resolution because they don't have a monitor permanently connected. I'd like to use a higher default resolution for my remote session. One is a Windows Server 2008, and the other a Lubuntu v18 machine. Neither has a 2nd video port, so the dummy plug idea wouldn't work. Do you know of a remote access solution will allow a user-specified display resolution to be used for each session (i.e. one which will be remembered from one session to the next)?

unoduo

Thanks for sending the links. It looks as if Any.Desk might work with a dummy Displayport plug.

I have another couple of machines which I operate in headless mode, and which default to a very low resolution because they don't have a monitor permanently connected. I'd like to use a higher default resolution for my remote session. One is a Windows Server 2008, and the other a Lubuntu v18 machine. Neither has a 2nd video port, so the dummy plug idea wouldn't work. Do you know of a remote access solution will allow a user-specified display resolution to be used for each session (i.e. one which will be remembered from one session to the next)?
if the machines are rarely connected to a monitor - nothing stopping you using a dummy in the sole video out - if it’s possible to start a remote session that way.

They sell vga versions too for older hardware.

There maybe a way of altering the default headless resolution using a registry edit. The following applies to Window 10 but something similar may work with an older os. (There’s also a mention via a link about using a virtual display adapter driver).

I have no knowledge of using Linux. Tried & failed many times over the years to get to grips with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom