How to stop Onkyo TV input from overriding Cable Box input

twrva

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've got an Onkyo Receiver (model TX-NR5100) connected to a LG TV (model 75QNED85UQA) using HDMI between the Onkyo Main port and TV HDMI 3 port. The Onkyo is the only HDMI device connected directly to the TV. There is a Direct TV Stream device connected to the Onkyo's Cable Box port via HDMI. Whenever the Direct TV is turned on, the Onkyo Receiver turns on as well as the LG TV. The receiver briefly reports that the Cable Box input is active, and the TV correspondingly reports that HDMI 3 is active. That is the desired result. However after a few seconds the receiver switches to the TV input and the TV then (erroneously) switches to HDMI 2 (where nothing is connected). I then have to manually change the TV input back to HDMI 3. ... How do I get the receiver to stop letting the TV's input override the Cable Box input? I still want to be able to control the receiver's volume from the TV remote, which I assume is working because of HDMI ARC.

That's a difficult one to solve, as it's clearly a handshaking issue between the TV and AVR.

LG only allow HDMI-ARC to work if you have HDMI-CEC (simplink) enabled and its CEC that is the problem.

All you can do is ensure that firmware on both TV and AVR is up to date. Then go into webos input manager and under universal remote tell it you have a Onkyo AVR attached, that's it.

If input manager says its Onkyo already you could try and see if you can change it to generic sound system or something like that in the hopes it changes the CEC profile the TV is using with AVR.

If it doesn't work connect your TV set top box to the TV HDMI input, if your using ARC with TV anyway this should hopefully work normally with AVR defaulting to TV input and remote controlling volume, set digital sound output as auto in webos setting and speakers as wired HDMI ARC.

Thank you for the clear and detailed response!

I had not yet tried the WebOS input manager configuration; unfortunately that did not make any difference setting it to Onkyo. ... Your right about the HDMI-ARC not working without the HDMI-CEC enabled; I turned off HDMI-CEC on the TV, and that turned off the audio being sent to the Onkyo. ... Firmware on both devices are up-to-date. ... I wish it were possible to simply tell the Onkyo not to listen for the TV as an input source.

I expect you're right that connecting the Direct TV Stream device to the TV would fix this, and I will try that soon. I have that configuration with another (older) LG TV, Direct TV Stream box and Sonos Beam. It struggles with keeping the audio in sync with the video. ... So far in the case with the new LG TV and Onkyo audio sync has not been an issue.

Revisiting the WebOS input manager configuration as next010 suggested, I seem to have found some success keeping the Onkyo from regressively switching itself to TV input. Specifically under the LG TV's Settings > General > Devices > External Devices > Universal Control Settings > select HDMI 3 > Manage Settings), this time it recognized the connected device as "Onkyo Home Theater;" I checked "Onkyo Home Theater" and set its audio out to HDMI 3 (ARC); maybe setting the audio out to optical for this device makes more sense in the absence of an option for no audio out? When turning the system on via the Direct TV it will still often switch the input from Direct TV over to TV, but then at least pressing Input to move it back to Direct TV (now showing as HDMI 3 Onkyo Home Theater) it seems to "stick."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom