• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to split speakers in different rooms??

spaced

Standard Member
Hi guys

I have placed the following question in the "Speakers" forum, but one of you may also be able to assist?

I have an LG DVD Player/receiver (HT304SU) that came with surround sound speakers which I use for watching DVDs in my sitting room. The DVD player plays CDs. I am about to purchase some free standing speakers for my conservatory and need to connect these speakers to the DVD player receiver. I know I need a speaker splitter box but the setup on the rear of the receiver is different to the diagrams I have seen showing how to set it up. Here is a pic of what the rear connections look like:

The pic only shows 3 connections but there are 5 or 6 which have all the surround sound speakers attached to. How do I connect a speaker splitter box to this in order for me to be able to choose which room/speakers to play (sitting room CD/DVD or conservatory CD)???

Here is an example of the rear of a standard splitter:-

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks guys

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What speakers have you bought? If they are 8ohm then the LG may have difficulty driving them at a decent volume since most all in one systems use very low impedance speakers to make the most from the puny amps inside them.
To connect to the splitter you are going to have to cut the cable to the front left and right speakers. You would then wire up the cables with the plug to the player on the input to switch and then the end with the speakers attached to the output.

spaced

Standard Member
PSM1 said:
What speakers have you bought? If they are 8ohm then the LG may have difficulty driving them at a decent volume since most all in one systems use very low impedance speakers to make the most from the puny amps inside them.
To connect to the splitter you are going to have to cut the cable to the front left and right speakers. You would then wire up the cables with the plug to the player on the input to switch and then the end with the speakers attached to the output.

Can you explain the last paragraph in laymans terms? I have 5 speakers currently connected - 2 left and right, 1 middle and the sub (surround sound in sitting room). I am buying 2 x Sony ss-ts551 speakers which will go in my conservatory.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Sorry, when I replied I was on my tablet and could not see pictures. Assumed you had plugs on back of receiver that had the front L/R speakers combined. Since have separate cables for each then it becomes easier. Just connect the front L/R outputs from the receiver to the from amp input on the switch and then connect the 2 sets of speakers (original and Sony) to speaker 1 and 2 on the outputs. Then switch between them. When using the stereo Sony speakers in the conservatory you are going to need to set the receiver to a stereo mode to only give front L/R speakers playing otherwise you will end up missing some of the sound.
The Sony speakers look like glorified satellite speakers so may not sound great without a sub to back them up.

spaced

Standard Member
PSM1 said:
Just connect the front L/R outputs from the receiver to the from amp input on the switch and then connect the 2 sets of speakers (original and Sony) to speaker 1 and 2 on the outputs.

Ok....but if you take the switch box in the following pic as an example:-

image-2417979284.jpg

I have 6 surround sound speakers - front L&R, rear L&R, Centre, Woofer. That's 3 pairs. Doesn't the mean that they will end up being split,

front L&R are plugged into the first pair "speaker 1" connections, rear L&R into the second pair of connections in "speaker one", I then assume that the centre speaker is connected into the - or + connection in "speaker 2" and the woofer is connected into the - or + in "speaker 2" also?? The 2 x Sony speaker are obviously connected into the "speaker 3" connections??

Sorry for the questions but my audio knowledge is poor!!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What are you trying to achieve?
Why are you connecting all speakers to the switch? Surely you just want to switch the front L/R to the pair of speakers in the other room? what do you plan to do by having all the speakers connected to the switch?

spaced

Standard Member
PSM1 said:
What are you trying to achieve?
Why are you connecting all speakers to the switch? Surely you just want to switch the front L/R to the pair of speakers in the other room? what do you plan to do by having all the speakers connected to the switch?

Because the surround in my sitting is for when watching DVDs and the 2 floor standing speakera in my conservatory for when playing music. The LG DVD player/receiver plays both DVDs and CDs. This means I don't have to purchase a separate hifi for listening to music. I just flick the switch to make the surround speakers work when watching a movie, and flick the switch again when listening to music in the conservatory I order for just the free standing speakers to work .

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Does your player have a stereo mode that only plays through the front 2 speakers? If not then your plan is not going to work as you will not have a full signal going to the pair of speakers in the conservatory.
If you want to do this then it would be better to get an av receiver with zone 2 functionality.

Last edited:

spaced

Standard Member
PSM1 said:
Does your player have a stereo mode that only plays through the front 2 speakers? If not then your plan is not going to work as you will not have a full signal going to the pair of speakers in the conservatory.
If you want to do this then it would be better to get an av receiver with zone 2 functionality.

Or get a hifi in the conservatory and save myself the hassle. Seems like its not as easy as I had thought! Thanks or your help, greatly appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom