• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to split a Sky signal between TV and AV without losing sound?

TheHunch

Hope I'm not repeating a problem sorted elsewhere ...

I'm currently splitting a Sky signal ... one feed runs to my Yamaha AV (before going to a projector etc.) and the other feed goes straight to a Samsung TV.

Basically I like to use the television most of the time (I find watching things like the news on the big screen a little overwhelming and unreal!) ... and keep the projector for movies etc. in the evening. On the Sky box settings I changed the HDMI audio to Dolby, which works perfectly in giving surround sound for projector movies, but for some reason seems to then cut the sound completely when I want to watch the TV!

Is there anything I can do to save having to change this Sky setting every time I want to watch TV? I realize I could run the Sky signal straight into the AV and then output to the projector and the TV separately from there, but that means using the AV for the TV sound when really I want it as standalone as possible ... e.g. walk in, just flick the TV on, and it's all up and running.

Any tips would be very gratefully received!

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
It would seem that your TV cannot decode DD from its HDMI input. Can you connect the Sky box to the Yamaha with an optical/coax cable and set the inputs on the Yamaha to suit this? If yes then set the Sky box HDMI audio output to "Normal" - problem solved.

TheHunch

Good point ... yes ... I could have done that, unfortunately the Sky box is in another room completely, and connected via an HDMI cable which is buried in the fabric of the house. Would be too difficult to run a separate optical cable to the Sky box now!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom