1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to sort songs by folders on hd5?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by aldrack, Aug 3, 2005.

1. aldrack

aldrack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there!
    First things first, this is my debut on the international avforum (I`ve been around a tiny bit on the Norwegian one)... :)

Now to the topic at hand. Searching through the forums here some days back I found the description on how you could sort the songs on hd5 the same way one often sort songs on the computer, ie: c:\music\artist\album.

Transferring files at the moment they sort after the id3 tag I believe.. If anyone could give me a hand with this I`d be very grateful :)
    So long!

2. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    But you can already find your music by \music\artist\album... you can also find it by just album, or by genre or by searching for a track alphabetically or in the track list. The HD5 is ease and simplicity itself. Why does everybody want groups all the time? Sorting by id3 tag gives you multiple options to find and playback your songs and it works brilliantly. That's if your files are tagged well, of course, if they're not... then it's not so straightforward...

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more. Files, folders and the vague-sounding 'Groups' aren't a patch on ID3 tags.

4. aldrack

aldrack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It`s all about preferences I guess. I prefer to find my songs the way I view them on my computer. If anyone`s got some advice on what to do, please come forth :clap:

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what exactly is your problem? you cant have folders on the HD5, SS puts them automatically. Just fill out the ID3 tag properly for every song and it should be fine.

6. aldrack

aldrack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is I saw a guide somewhere on how to import the songs to the hd5, making it possible to view them in the beforementioned way. I`m almost certain it was at this forum, could be wrong of course. This did not include browsing through every mp3 and sort their tags :)

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you mean in sonicstage? if you import a CD it will list it that way if you choose to. On the player you can choose artist and album or just album, or just artist, or tracks, or genre and album

8. K-Pax

K-Pax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have over 100gb of MP3 music all correctly tagged. Aside from Sonicstage being very slow, the sonicstage track order for each album often does not correspond to the ID3 track order. If I click on the track title bar Sonicstage will re-order the tracks correctly in line with the ID3 tag but I have to go from album to album doing this and I reckon about 500+ albums have the track order incorrect. I've tried to work out why Sonicstage sometimes gets it wrong and I believe its ordering the tracks according to date modified? So CDs that were ripped in 1 go and the tags never changed are ok, but those that have had their ID3 tags edited appear in the order that they were last modified. Anyone else seen this issue?

9. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, I have. But it displays (and plays) in the correct order on the player and it's not too much trouble to correctly order it in sonicstage as you come accross such errors so I don't really worry about it.

10. K-Pax

K-Pax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They play in the order that Sonic stage numbers them, so unless you re-order before transfer they will play in the incorrect order on the HD5. So far I have spent over 8 hours re-ordering and transferring files back onto the HD5 so It's a problem for me!

11. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No, never had that problem. I've had them appear in the wrong order in ss but have the correct track numbers. So, transffering to the HD5 they play in the right order and a quick one button press in ss sorts the album correctly.

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never had that problem, and ive re taged many different songs at different times.

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems here either, and I've experienced the same SS peculiarity.