How to soften dv footage

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Centurion, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a way to soften the sharp image given from dv.
    Is there a way to do this in premiere or some kind of plugin. Would like to get soft results as seen on broadcast footage.

Help much appreciated

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Buy a cheapo camcorder which will loose lots of detail and look soft?

I think professional cameras are very sharp, thats why they cost so much.

If you want a film type soft look then you can buy filters that will soften the picture. But its always best to start with the sharpest image you can get and work down from there, thats why I always use the editing software to add effects later.

Or do you want more of a glow effect?

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Define soft?.

Do you want a slightly diffuse look across the whole picture, or do you want out of focus areas to be exceptionally soft.

You can buy diffusers in various strengths, the problem being that if you record with one you cannot undo it later.

Premiere does have an unsharp mask, and the likes of adobe after effects will let you do pretty much any visual effect.

If it's really really shallow depth of field you want then you can either open the iris manually or add an Nuetral Density filter (in bright light both may be required), if you move the camera further away from the subject and use the zoom you will also reduce depth of field making your footage appear softer.

If you are using premiere then you can also deinterlace your footage, which makes it appear more film-like and appear to be soft.

What type of cam do you have?.

4. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a JVC GR-DV700. In reply to both your posts, I'm not in the area of buying cheaper cams to acheive this cos i beleive this is not the way to do it. In regards to roy mallards post. Yes i would like some kind of diffusion, i would like the effect of the tv look, soft yet clear, not sharp images like you get with raw dv. I will try the de-interlace and see what results i get and the unsharp mask.

Thanks for your reply guys

5. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used the de-interlace in AP and although you can blur the picture slightly its still not the effect i was after. I'm really looking for something that will give me the hollywood effect ie soft and colourful.. Just thought there might be some filter that allows this. I also have Sony vegas 5.0 if anyone knows if that program can do it.

thanks

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Vegas 5 has Glow which will, depending on the setting amplify all the white parts of the image. It just depends how subtle you want it to look. If your trying to make the whole production look soft then Glow is probably OTT but give it a try anyway. It takes time to get the desired effect.

7. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers baddass i'll give it a shot