1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to setup SVS in Stereo only config.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by revahi, Apr 7, 2005.

1. revahi

revahi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a 20-39 PC Plus, I was quite astonished at the sheer power of its movie performance. Unfortunately I can't get it to perform at all in stereo only. As you know there's no separate RCA/Phono LFE output on a typical amp/preamp setup. I originally had my REL Strata connected to my amp's speaker output into its high level input and connected the speaker(s) into the subs high level output.
    This configuration worked quite well but with the SVS the speakers plugged into HL output are silent and bass output from the sub is truly awful, boomy and undefind. I'm assuming that's because the amplification is not coming from the built in amp of the SVS but from the external amplifier, although the amp is amongst the top marques produced in the UK (Chord SPM 600) there shouldn't be a shortage of power.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Okay, lets be sure what you are talking about here. I run my own SVS cylinder with high level connections for music. (And use low level just for films).

Your speakers should ideally be running full range. Which means you don't mess with the connections at all. Speaker cables run from your amp to your speakers in stereo completely as normal.

Now the sub. You have a choice here. You can connect the SVS via more speaker cable to the same speaker terminals of your stereo amp (in stereo) A bit like bi-wiring, but the extra speaker cables go only to the sub's high level "In" terminals rather than the biwiring terminals on the speakers.(if any)

Or you can connect the sub to the terminals on the backs of the speakers. With more speaker cable and again in stereo.

Trying to use the SVS as a crossover between your sub and speakers with high level connections is possible. But I wouldn't recommend this with music as the passive crossover in the SVS is only 6dB /octave and very unlikely to be of the highest quality.

You would be better off running the speakers full range and the sub just underpinning the speakers in the deep bass.(ie. Not competing)

If you want to try running your speakers from the high level "out" terminals on the sub then do so by all means. I found my own speakers sounded rather "tinny" and the usual sound quality had been degraded.

From you description it sounds (to me) as if you didn't connect things up correctly. I can't see how you could possibly bypass the SVS inbuilt crossover/filter circuitry to allow your amp to drive the sub. The fact that the speakers were silent aso suggests a mistake in connecting the cables.

Regards
    NImby

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi revahi
    Did you try what nimby said and run a set of cables from the amp or speakers in to the hi level inputs of the sub.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    Revahi click svs=music on the bottom of nimbys post you can easily see how his sub is set up.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    revahi

If you are still following your thread:

As gonzo says, if you click on my signature link "SVS=Music" and then on "The 320 Watt Bash amp" in the menu on the left you can see the cable connnections I use for high level. The other end of these cables go back to the speaker terminals on my stereo amplifier. I have two cables silver soldered into each banana plug at the stereo amp end which were originally made up for bi-wiring. Though this is not essential of course and you can just attach two cables through each terminal instead.

Regards
    Nimby

I should have checked first. The menu is on the right on the home page. But on he left when on any other page. :blush:

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Revahi
    Did you get the sub working in stereo.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

6. Bass-Oldie

Bass-Oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    @ Nimby

For your Bassy Szenes on CD section of your Website, I would suggest to add the record "The Eye" from Yello. Very deep yet controlled bass in nearly each track.
    Have Fun!

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Noted! Thanks. I'll try and find a copy. :)

Nimby

8. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Nimby,

Many thanks for your svs=music link, a big help but I could do with a little more.

I'm considering upgrading my Rel Storm 3 and you guys are a great advert for SVS. I see how the High Level connections work (instead of the Neutrik), it's a bit crowded on the back of my processor but I could put Y adaptors on the speaker terminals. Just clear up the LFE channel please - I have a single phono LFE output, presumably this goes to one of the low level inputs, or is it more complicated?

I think WAF will push me towards a rosewood box rather than a cylinder (bless her, she already puts up with a pair of Kef Ref 4s in "our" 20x24 lounge) - the Kefs don't need a lot of help and my current cross over is at 50Hz to obtain low end support and I imagine SVS will do this in spades.

Whilst I mainly listen to CDs, my movie collection is growing and I feel the need for more uummph. A long trawl through the SVS site and this forum has led me to take the PB12 Ultra as a prime contender.

I'll be grateful for any comments.

Thanks for listening.

Derek

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I really can't comment on the Storm3 v SVS Ultra box. No doubt others will have hands-on experience of your choices. Your room is relatively large and this might make a serious difference in your ultimate subwoofer choice.

I really would try and arrange high-level connections for music. It is the preferred choice for highest sound quality.

You can always run a cable from each speaker to your stereo inputs on your subwoofer instead of from the back of your receiver, processor or amplifier. Since your subwoofer is usually closer to the speakers than the amplifier or receiver, this is often a more useful alternative high level connection method to a powered subwoofer.

Your LFE-out phono socket does indeed feed your low level input socket on your subwoofer for DVD films. You may need another (probably higher) gain setting for your subwoofer from your high-level connection music setting.

I have two settings myself. For my high-level connections and "flat" low frequency extension for music the gain control is set at 9 o'clock on my SVS. For DVD films the setting is 12 o'clock for decent rumble and serious impact. Your system is almost certainly different to mine in suitable gain settings.

The SVS can run high and low level inputs simultaneously if desired. This isn't as silly as it sounds. Since pure (low level) LFE can lose some bass information compare with a sub fed with LFE and (high-level) speaker sub-bass. Though most set their speakers to "small" for surround on films. I don't. Opinions vary on this, even amongst experts.

I would seriously recommend the investment in a RadioShack SPL meter to ensure you are achieving the best possible set-up. (if you don't already own one) Great fun for little cost and essential in calibrating the output level of your speakers compared with your subwoofer. If you decide to order an SVS you can obtain the latest soft-style version of the Radioshack SPL meter from them.

Regards
    Nimby

10. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Nimby, thanks for your advice.

I do have a digital SPL meter from Maplins which I've used with my Tag processor to "room equalise" my lounge (I must have short legs - paced the size out for my last post, it's actually 16x21 by tape measure).

The TMREQ brings its own dilemma - I can level out the sub peaks on the LFE channel with the filters but, of course, the high level connections are downstream of the processor and so the sub output is unfiltered. Thus I can't have the benefit of both TMREQ and High Level connection. Experiments are in hand to find the best choice and I'm seeking comment on the TMA Forum.

SVS confirm that a PB12 Ultra will fill my room - they replied on a Sunday, :clap: By chance is there anyone with a PC sub near Bristol that I could show my missus?

Regards,

Derek