How to setup AVR300 with A32?

CallMeSteve

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi, can someone give me a quick rundown of how to setup my AVR300 with my A32?

I want to biamp my fronts from the A32 (if possible) and have have my stereo source connected directly to the A32....

And have the A32 connected to the AVR300 so for 5.1 I can still use my front speakers.

I'm sure it's possible but need some help :lease:

Hey steve.

Not sure biamping is desiarable without a P35 but there is a thread somewhere on here about using a passive sub using zone2 on the 350 (will work with the 300 too). I was biamping with a P35 before.

They both have the same gain so should be ok and I would suggest using the A32 to do the HF too.

I would get it working without trying to biamp first. Connect the L & R speakers to the A32 sp1 terms (making sure the SP1 button is pressed). Check it works by connecting some stereo source (CD player maybe). Next, connect the L & R preouts on the 300 to the TAPE in on the A32. Then press the TAPE button and it should go into PROC mode (assuming it has remembered the settings). This will then allow the 300 to drive the 2 speakers directly connected to the A32. You need to press TAPE again on the A32 to leave PROC mode, just pressing another source will not work.

If you still can't get it working/have issues give me a call.

Ian.

I want to biamp my fronts from the A32 (if possible) and have have my stereo source connected directly to the A32....

And have the A32 connected to the AVR300 so for 5.1 I can still use my front speakers.

I'm sure it's possible but need some help :lease:

It is not possible for you to do both. You can biamp with the A32 and AVR300 together meaning that the A32 and AVR300 share amplification duties for the speakers. It also means that all your sources must be routed via the AVR300 as the A32 will only be driving one set of drive units on the speakers. If you connected a stereo source directly to the A32 then it would play but you would only get audio from the drive units that the A32 is connected to.

Alternatively you can use the A32 as a dedicated stereo amp for stereo sources, but it needs to be the only amp driving the speakers, well unless there is an additional power amp running off the A32's preamp outputs.

Which brings me on to a possible final solution to your question. This would require you to biamp the speakers using the A32 and a matching stereo power amp such as the P35 or new P38. This would allow you to connect the preamp outputs on the AVR300 to the A32 and thus biamp the fronts with the A32 and the attached power amp. This would also simultaneously allow you to connect stereo only sources directly to the A32 and still biamp the speakers with he A32 and powr amp.

Thanks guys, I think I may add a P35 later on. I was supposed to be trying to cut down on how much equipment I have, not collect more!! :D

Thanks guys, I think I may add a P35 later on. I was supposed to be trying to cut down on how much equipment I have, not collect more!! :D

In that case you will need to make a choice between biamping or having the ability to play stereo sources only through the A32, you cannot do both.

In that case you will need to make a choice between biamping or having the ability to play stereo sources only through the A32, you cannot do both.

I thought I could biamp the fronts using the A32 and P35 for stereo sources? :confused:

What Crusty is saying is you can bi-amp using the AVR300 only and not use the A32 or bi-wire for now to the A32 (as I believe you have bi-wired speakers) and biamp if/when you get a p35.

Personally, I think I would go with the A32 for stereo even without the bi-amp currently.

What speakers do you have?

What Crusty is saying is you can bi-amp using the AVR300 only and not use the A32 or bi-wire for now to the A32 (as I believe you have bi-wired speakers) and biamp if/when you get a p35.

Not quite what I was saying Ian. I cannot see any benefit in biamping using the AVR300 alone and not using the A32 at all, it would be a complete waste of the A32. What I was saying was:

You could biamp using the AVR300 to drive one set of terminals on your front speakers and the A32 to drive the other set of terminals on the speakers. All sources would need to be run via the AVR300 is it is providing part of the amplification for the speakers.

OR

You could drive the fronts with the A32 only, single wired or bi-wired, and still have the ability to run stereo sources directly into the A32.

THEN

When you get a P35 you could biamp the front speakers using the A32 and P35 together and this would also allow you to run stereo sources directly into the A32/P35 combination.

Yes you can, but you haven't got a P35 yet have you?

I think you misunderstood me :), I'll biamp once I get a P35 later. For now I'm just running the fronts on the A32 so I can use it's preamp for processing.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

:devil:
Why not sell the AVR300 and get the multi-channel module added to the A32 by Aracm, a P35/3 and later some additional P35's to do the bi-amping - you'll have a neater, better sounding system !!

Just another option !!

Dobly

Dobly:
Just another option !!

Indeed it is :hiya:

Though you'd still need an additional preamp/processor for DD/DTS sources, matrixing surround sound from your telly, etc.

EDIT: You could of course connect two 7.1 (or 5.1) sources via the analogue inputs of a modified A32, but one would be highly dependent on the DD/DTS processing and bass management of the player(s) in question (and assuming they have full analogue outputs in the first place), and of course off-air signals (either analogue or digital) would need some kind of treatment in order to obtain a multichannel result.

Michael.

Why not sell the AVR300 and get the multi-channel module added to the A32 by Aracm, a P35/3 and later some additional P35's to do the bi-amping - you'll have a neater, better sounding system !!

Just another option !!

Dobly

Thanks for tip but my setup is only temporary until I move house in a few months time. Then I'll be starting from scratch...new processor/power amp, speakers etc

I think adding a P35 won't really make a difference to my speakers (B&W 603 S3) but if I can pick up one cheap then I may as well give it a go.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom