How to set up separate home theater + karaoke system?

nafgnahz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I want to set up a media room with a home theater system PLUS a separate speaker for Karaoke (coz I read the high pitch voice from Karaoke singing may damage the home theater speakers). Also wanna put Xbox in the room too. Here is a list of equipment I'm planning to get:
  • projector + projector screen
  • Polk 5.1 home theater speaker system
  • AV receiver
  • separate Bose speaker for Karaoke
  • mixer + mic for Karaoke
I'm planning to have all the media sources coming from a computer. But i'm not sure how to set up the systems. Here are the plans I have:

OPTION 1:

Home theater:
  • computer -- [HDMI] -- projector
  • projector audio out -- [3.5 to RCA] -- receiver
  • receiver -- [stereo cable] -- home theater system

Xbox:
* similar to above, replace computer to Xbox

Karaoke:
  • computer -- [3.5 to RCA] -- mixer
  • mic -- [XLR] -- mixer
  • mixer -- [3.5 to 3.5 ??] -- Bose

OPTION 2:

Home theater / Xbox:
  • computer / Xbox -- [HDMI] -- receiver
  • receiver -- [HDMI] -- projector

Karaoke:
  • computer -- [HDMI] -- audio/video splitter
  • audio -- [3.5 to RCA] -- mixer
  • video -- [HDMI] -- projector

In each case, I'd turn off the receiver if using the Karaoke system.

Will any of these options work? Or is there a better way to set up the system? Appreciate any inputs.. Thanks!

I suppose the first question should be how large is the room, which products do you already own and are you open to different options plus what kind of budget are you looking at?

I suppose the first question should be how large is the room, which products do you already own and are you open to different options plus what kind of budget are you looking at?
The room is about 15 x 19. I have purchased most of the equipment already, and I went with the budget line from Polk, got the T series.

So, you've got the Polk's! What AV Receiver did you purchase to drive them and which projector are you looking to use

As for karaoke and damage, this will depend upon how loud you have the volume and believe it, the cheaper the electronics and partnering components you are using to create the sound, the more chance you have of causing unwanted damage regardless of whether it's karaoke or playing movies/music. As you have bought cheaper speakers, just don't turn the volume up so loud so it hurts your ears and I would expect it would work. Also what out for feedback which could cause unwanted damage regardless of volume

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom