How to set up my projector system.

the doc

Standard Member
OK, I am in a real quandry here - need some advice on what to do.

I have now decided on most of the components for my home setup (thanks to some advice on here.)

I am seriously considering the epson tw3500 as my PJ.

I am a bit limited with my room however. Throw distance is about 5 metres, but it needs to project onto a fireplace wall.... not a normal wide room wall - so this limits my options.

The fireplace section is exactly 171cm wide... then it recesses back quite a bit to a bookshelf.

So.... I want the biggest viewable screen possible - how can I do it? If I buy a 170cm wide screen then the housing will extend past the wall by about 10cm either side - which would look a bit stupid. If I buy a screen with a case that fits 171cm (just about) then I will end up with a 154 wide screen - which seems a bit small.

What would you do? How viable is it to project directly onto the wall without a screen - I wanted to avoid this but would do it if the quality isn't too bad. Another option would be to put up a fixed frame screen (I have found one that is 171 cm wide.)

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm not a projecter guru whatsoever but I have had a thought.

If your joists go the right way could you hide the casing for the screen in the ceiling void, just have the rod at the bottom of the screen with just a slit for the screen to go through.

This way a screen wider than your fireplace wouldn't look so silly. I'll see if I can find a post in the gallery or DIY section to illustrate my thinking.

Jamie

Distinguished Member

the doc

Standard Member
That is a good idea mate - but my ceiling is pretty high... would be one weird looking projector screen for it to work :(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom