1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to set up medusa headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by bigoggi, May 18, 2005.

1. bigoggi

bigoggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have recently purchased a pair of medusa headphones and i am very pleased with them, i have connected them to the back of my dvd player and they sound excellent for the price.
    The problem i have is that i cannot find away to connect them to my pioneer vsxd2011 home cinema amp so that i can get surround through them from my x-box ,tv.I have conected them through the pre outs and can get sound through them but it only comes through when i stick a headphone jack in the headphone socket of the pioneer and so the amp only outputs sound in stereo not surround .I have the x-box connected to the pioneer through a optical cable.
    I seem to have spent forever connecting and disconnecting cables without any joy ,i have also read the manual over and over so if there is anyone out there with the same equipment or similar that could give me some pointers i would be grateful.

cheers Owen

2. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I had a pair of Medusa's and had problems connecting them to my Sherwood amp. I could get sound through them but it also came out of the speakers. If I switched the speakers off or muted them it also switched off/muted the sound from the pre-outs.

Like you if I plugged a jack into the headphone socket it muted the speakers but then I only got stereo through the Medusa's.

The way I got round it was to buy five torpedo switches (the sort you find fitted to the flex of table lamps) and fit them to my speaker cable, front left/front right/centre/right rear/left rear and use them to switch off the speakers when using the Medusa's. I can now use them with DVD and the Xbox. I do not find them much good with stereo sources and think straight stereo phones are better for TV programs.

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you only have one subwoofer output this has to be shared between the subwoofer and the Medusa's. I tried a splitter but for some reason it reduced the bass output so I used the pass through function on the Medusa's amp. IE subwoofer pre-out to Medusa amp - from Medusa amp to subwoofer.

Hope this helps ;)

3. bigoggi

bigoggi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that i thought i was just being stupid, i think it more trouble then i am willing to go to i will probably just keep them for late night dvd watching.

thanks Owen

4. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi Owen

That is what I really wanted them for, late night DVD watching at realistic levels, and is what I mainly use them for, so in retrospect I might as well just use them via the outputs on the DVD player.

Another advantage of this route is that you can adjust the output levels on the DVD player to suit the Medusa's without disturbing the levels that you have set on the amp for the speakers.