How to set up HI-FI to laptop

jprasiyah

Novice Member
Hello,

I am trying to set up my entertainment system the following way.
Also note my HI-FI system is totally analog with RCA receivers (Red and White Sound inputs) I'm using sort of an adapter that changes the Optical output from my TV to Analog.

SETUP

Laptop HDMI OUT to LG TV > LG TV OPTICAL OUT to HI-FI system.

However the above setup does not work as sound does not come at all through the home theatre system, if I were to change the sound output on the TV from OPTICAL to TV Speaker I can hear the playback.

I use the same method for my Bluray Player in a similar way with success
Bluray HDMI OUT to LG TV > LG TV OPTICAL OUT to HI-FI unit this works like a charm.

Why doesn't my laptop have the same effect?
How can I get my laptop sound to playback in the manner described above?

I can also grab a cable that can connect my headphone jack on my laptop to the HI-FI system.
But I would very much appreciate if I can get playback from the manner described above.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Have you opened the sound cards properties and changed the hdmi output to bitstream stereo?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Have you opened the sound cards properties and changed the hdmi output to bitstream stereo?
Several options, perhaps, as suggested, if you want 5.1 sound, then the content of the computer has to first BE 5.1 sound, then the output has to be set to 5.1 sound, and the TV has to be able to output 5.1 sound.

My TV will only output PCM 2-channel from the TV Optical out, which is fine with be because I have a Stereo. Most DACs willl require that the output of the TV be set to PCM which is typically stereo. For 5.1 which doesn't make sense when using a Stereo DAC, the output of the TV has to be set to Dobly 5.1. Again, your Stereo DAC will not decode Dolby 5.1, but your AV Receiver might.

"However the above setup does not work as sound does not come at all through the home theatre system..."

Confusing. If you have a Home Theater System, then why are you routing your Computer through the TV? The AV Receiver should have multiple HDMI inputs which can be individually select. It will also have an HDMI out that can be routed to the TV.

I'm confused about the configuration?

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom